29: Is this Goodbye?2

Lailah Dk

The morning breeze hit my skin differently as I stood outside the house with my luggage in my hand. We were living for the airport this morning and I couldn't just wait to be on the plane. My heartbeat hasn't been steady since yesterday. Anytime I remembered Haidar's behavior towards me, my heart would crumble and I would feel a pain I had never had to go through before. It wasn't easy for me and I tried not to let my mother nor sister notice.

"Lailah I've been calling your name since, why have you been so absentminded?" That was my mum. I smiled at her.

"Mumy, I'm just thinking about my new life and how it's gonna be with you guys in it," I said and she smiled.

"It's going to be a blast, my dear." She chuckled.

"Indeed," I said.

"Can someone help me with all this luggage?" I heard Nailah say from the doorstep of the house. I burst into laughter when I saw what she was carrying.

"If it is not for you, who packs this kind of luggage for a week," Mummy said. I still found myself laughing. I dropped my luggage in the booth of the car and proceeded to help her. I picked the luggage up and it wasn't even heavy.

"You mean this is heavy to you?" I asked her. She nodded.

"You got to be kidding me Nailah." I shook my head as I took the luggage to the car. I put it in the booth as well. My mother practically came with nothing so she just majestically sat in the backseat. Nailah immediately sat down along with her, Nailah always acts like a child. I shook my head.

I sat in front of the driver. "Musa let's go," My mother said and Musa ignited the car. We soon zoomed out of the gates and found our way to the airport. I couldn't even detach my gaze from outside. I was trying my best to find something that would bring ease to me. I just decided to put on my EarPods while I watched Nailah and my mum gist through the rearview mirror. I soon dozed off, the ride to the Nmadi Azikwe airport seemed long. It felt irritating sitting here like this. Well, sleep took over me and I found myself feeling at peace.

"Lailah! Lailah!" My mother's voice boomed through my ears. I instantly flew my eyes open and The great Nnamdi Azikwe Airport stood in all its glory. Hmmm, I sighed while opening the door to get down.

"Mummy," I said.

"You didn't sleep at night right?" She said and I nodded.

"Sorry." She simply said. I helped Nailah with her bag which she dragged to the floor. I also took mine.

We walked into the airport and the cold air from the Ac hit me differently. The aura around me made me feel uneasy, my body felt tense. I just decided to discard any thought that regarded him. It was not an easy burden for my heart to bear.

We did all our required procedures and proceeded into the waiting room. "I swear this will be my last time taking a public flight," Nailah said. Our mother instantly nudged her with her elbow because a woman sitting next to me hissed.

"It's the truth Mum, I'm telling Jack to make sure the jet gets fixed." She said. I chuckled. The lady next to me rolled her eyes furiously.

"You and this your big mouth" Mummy said and she rolled her eyes. We sat in the waiting room like a statue waiting for them to call for the first class to board the plain.

"What's wrong with these people abeg?" The woman next to me said angrily. Yeah, it was annoying because we've been sitting here for close to An hour now. I hissed angrily. I turned to Nailah and my mum and they were already taking a nap. I chuckled. My mum looked very tired. And Nailah, her sleeping face was damn funny.

"Ogah ejoor, come abeg." The woman spoke in pidgin. She gestured for a man who was wearing a uniform and he made his way toward us.

"Why aren't people boarding the plane?"
She asked after sliding two thousand nairas into the man's palm.

"Madam. Someone from the authority ordered that the plane should not move."
The man said. Wow, what could be happening? I thought.

"Ahn Ahn, mad oh." The woman exclaimed and I chuckled lightly while pretending to use my phone. "Who is that person that gave that yeye order?." She hissed.

"It's the president. The way I'm seeing it's because of Bandits o" The man said. I chuckled. I was certain it wasn't bandits, I would have been informed if the planes weren't moving for that reason.

"Thank you ogah." The woman said to the man before he left. "Which kin Wahala be this abeg." The woman said to herself but I decided to answer her.

"It's not bandit, I'm sure it's just for some stupid reasons," I said.

"I think so too." She said.

I decided to focus on my phone. I didn't want to sleep again. I just placed my attention on the item in my hand.

"Lailah" I heard my name from above me. I raised my head to find Haidar Jega standing in front of me. I immediately stood up calmly.

"What are you doing here?." I found myself asking. His voice seemed to have awoken Nailah and my mum because their eyes were suddenly on him.

"I came to say Goodbye." He said calmly. He looked at Nailah and then at me.

"After chasing me out of your house like a dog right?" I said. My hands at akimbo.

"I'm sorry about that. I had my reasons" He said.

"Haidar, what stupid reason would make you shout at me the way you did? What stupid reason huh?" I said. The woman who had been seated beside me seemed to be enjoying the show, she looked at us with kind eyes. While Nailah and my mum stared at us like some movie.

"Because I do not want you to leave and it hurt me when you said you were going away. Trust me, I'm sorry about that. That's why I made sure the plane isn't allowed to move." He said and the woman gasped. I immediately threw her a deadly glare. She looked away embarrassedly.

"You what? Why would you do that? You could have simply just texted or called"
I said.

"I could have Lailah. But I wanted to see you one last time, because I know I would never be able to be at peace knowing our last conversation wasn't a good one." He said. I didn't say a thing at all. I just stared at him.

"So, Goodbye Lailah. I wish you a safe journey." He said.

"Thank you," I said.

"And one last thing, the reason why I'm truly here is to tell you how I feel about you," his gaze shifted to Nailah before he continued speaking. "Lailah, in all my life I have met lots of women but I have never felt this way towards them. You make me happy, I can't even explain it and you bring out the best in me." At this point, I had frozen while staring at him. "I love you Lailah Dk, I love you a lot and I don't wanna lose you." He said. He held my hand calmly. I stared at him blankly. My lips couldn't move. I didn't know if it was joy that caused it or shock.