Chapter 7 (Bakugou)

Ever since he was a young boy, Bakugou has always looked up to All Might and wanted to be the next number one hero.

How could he not? A hero who saves everyone, someone who has a smile on his face even in the face of danger. . . He'd never admit it to anyone—especially Deku—but being that kind of hero has always been his dream.

But even if no one knows, everyone around him has always expected no less of him.

It's suffocating. All the talk about how his quirk is powerful and how one day, he'll "make a great hero." No one knows but just those four words say so much.

Not to mention his mother, it's like nothing is good enough. If he's supposed to be so great than how come everything he does, everything that happens around him happens because he's weak. He caused so much trouble for the city when the sludge villain took him hostage. He couldn't fight back because he was so weak.

Why is it that everyone around him expects so much of him when they know he could never amount to their expectations?

That's why Deku disappeared, why he's gone. Because he let him down. Was too weak to be the person he wanted him to be. Was too blind to see. His thirst to become the strongest and prove himself blinded him and Deku paid the price.

Suddenly, becoming a hero isn't about becoming the strongest anymore. It's about Deku. It's what he always wanted. Maybe even more than Bakugou ever has. Not finishing what they both started would just feel wrong. Or maybe that's what he tells himself to keep the feeling that somehow he cheated at bay.

So that's why he won't do it because it's what he wants or what Deku wanted.

If he becomes a hero, he'll be strong enough to finally get some answers and find out what happened that day.

That's the least Deku deserves.

* * * *

The sports festival.

The biggest event of the year in all of Japan. Maybe even the world. Not even the Olympics are nearly half as popular as the festival UA puts on every year.

It's a time where the next generation of heroes gets to show off their stuff and possibly get scouted by pro's for future jobs. Even though it's an event for everyone at UA, it's solely become the debut of the students in the hero course. . . students like Bakugou.

Add that to the students who survived a villain attack and you get an entire class with one big target on all their backs.

Bakugou glares down his nose at the gathering outside Class-1A's classroom. Students from all over the school in every course have come over to check out the infamous kids. If they can one up Bakugou and the others in front of all of Japan, there's no question about it, they wouldn't have to worry about being stuck in general studies or business anymore.

Tsk. Scouting out the competition? Those lame extras.

"Get a good long look," Bakugou says to the crowd. "This is what future pros look like."

"Is it just you or is everyone in the hero course this delusional?" someone says above all the noise.

"And who are you?" Bakugou says harshly, eying the tired looking, purple haired boy who just squeezed his way through the crowd.

"Name's Shinso. I'm from general studies," The purple haired boy says.

Bakugou itches the skin under the bandages around his wrist, already bored. "Yeah and what about it?"