Reason to live

Chapter Five

I sat on the porch staring at the moon that looked like a toenail as I drank my coffee, covered in my blanket. I heard footsteps, I turned slowly to see John standing there and staring down at me. I smiled at him and he stopped gazing at me then looked into the sky. He sat beside me and took my coffee.
"Hey, that's mine."
"These are actually all mine. You just made the coffee but the cup and the coffee are mine. So I think it's only fair that we share," he said as he took a sip from my cup then gave it back to me.
We sat there and only the sound of the night interrupted the profound silence. Our eyes would meet at times but he would always look away. It was quiet but it wasn't at all awkward and I felt what I don't feel when I'm at my house, I felt relaxed, safe and un-alone. I decided to break the silence and talk to him.
"Why don't you ever smile?"
"What?"
"You seem to have a problem with the world and don't seem happy at all." I asked and he took another sip of the coffee before he answered my question.
"I have no right to be happy, when I did not even get to grant my brother, the happiness he deserved. My brother died before he knew what happiness even meant. No matter how strong I am I still was not able to protect my family. My parents and my new born brother were killed and I lived because I could not be killed. I lived to be able to suffer the thought of how I did not save those that I love and care for."
"There will be things we can't do, people we can't protect and lives we can't save. You may be a supernatural but you are not perfect, nobody is ever perfect. What's important is you did your best to protect those whom you love and tried everything you could to save them. Some of us are just meant to die," he looked at me and tears fell from his eyes but he wiped it refusing to let me see him vulnerable and hurting. He stood up and just walked away without saying another word.

~~~~~

I got out of the toilet after a quick shower and put on my pajamas when suddenly the lights went out. Somebody opened my window and I panicked until he introduced himself as Bernard.
"We have to get to John and the others. The vampires are here." We ran downstairs where John and the others were standing. And in just a moment we were surrounded by vampires.
"Vampiris." Said Jane.
"The Femini vampires are here." Said Bernard.
The fight started. Bernard, Jane and Tristan turned into wolves as John stayed in his human form and I could do nothing but just stand there with fear running through my whole body.
Then suddenly vampires dropped down from above then grabbed me and no one could save me because everybody was too occupied fighting. There were too many vampires.
I felt so uneasy with so much wind running through my face because of how fast the vampires were moving. I then saw a wolf with six legs, a huge wolf that I haven't seen before running after the vampires carrying me, it was gainjng on them quickly. All the other vampires stopped to attack the wolf as the vampire that carried me just kept running. The got through the six vampires easily, they barely even slowed him down. He was catching up until there was a giant net that caught him. Then more vampires came to attack him.

~~~

Jane's POV

John turned, his wolf was nothing like I have ever seen. Six legs, strong muscles but very flexible. Movements were incredible, almost unbelievable. John bit the net off and attacked the vampires but they just ran away. They're running away because they have accomplished what they came here for, they got Allison.
Me, John and Tristan continued to chase after the vampires until we found Bernard in the middle of the forest bare naked and had broken bones. He's still alive but is badly hurt and will take time to heal.
"They got away," he said as he coughed blood out.
Well that's that, John said that if she gets caught he wouldn't go after her and so I believe that he won't, because when he's made up his mind he doesn't change it. And because he's a man of his word.

Goodbye Allison.

~~~

John then got out of the house and walked towards us. He wore his fighting gear and seemed to want to go somewhere.
"Where are you going?" Asked Bernard.
"After her."
"I'm sorry but I can't allow you to do that."
"You are not capable of stopping me."
"But it is just right that we try our best to fulfill our duty and not disobey an order." He said as he turned to a wolf and tried to pounce on John but he was grabbed easily before his neck was snapped. Tristan did the same thing and had the same broken neck which will keep them unconscious for a few hours. He then turned to face me and I got scared.
"Are you gonna try and stop me?"
"No, Allison is my friend, so I will help you."
"I am sorry but going there will put your life at risk. I cannot allow you to go with me on this suicide mission."
Then he locked me, Tristan and Bernard in a wolf's cage. Just like that, he was off to his journey. He broke his word and changed his mind.

What was the reason for this? Risking his life for a human.
Well, whatever the reason, I believe that he will get her back.