Chapter 4

"You're going to have to say something eventually", Ivan was beginning to get frustrated with me now, it had almost been around two hours and still I refused to look or say anything to him.

He told me that he was taking me home, I knew that there was something more to it, that they wouldn't let me go that easy, not after finding out what I could do, instead of taking me home I was loaded into a black coach like a cow onto a trailer.

The coach stopped, Ivan sighed "Fine, be like that, it won't get you very far", he got up to leave.

"You're a liar" I muttered.

"Excuse me?"

"You're a liar, a murderous liar. I saw you, it was you, you killed them."

"I did what I had to" he shrugged.

I couldn't believe what I was hearing, "You have innocent blood on your hands, and you're ok with that? How do you sleep at night, knowing that you killed innocent people?"

He just sneered at me and left. All the windows in the coach were covered so no one could see in, I lifted up the fabric that was covering the one Ivan had left through slightly and peered out, we were at the edge of a forest, everyone was gathered listening to Ivan, 'wait a minute, everyone was over there' I thought 'If I go out the opposite door, no one will notice' making sure they were still talking, I went over to the other door, 'Danm it' I thought, I couldn't just slowly slip open the door, I had to push it, curse those Grisha and their well-made doors.

'Ok' I thought 'On 3. 1... 2... 3" I went to catch the door before it hit the coach, but it bounced off of something I hadn't seen.

"Ouch" someone yelled, "What are you doing?" they stared at me in their grey uniform, 'shoot' I thought, Ivan had left a guard at this side.

"Spencer, what's the problem?" I heard Ivan shout, I pushed the guard over and ran, trying to get to the forest so I could lose the guards in the trees, I was almost there when I heard Ivan say, "Oh no you don't" my entire body froze, I felt my heart slow and everything went black.

When I woke up I was laying on the softest bed I had ever been on, it felt like what I imagine clouds would feel like, my head throbbed, probably from hitting the ground when I passed out. "Goodmorning" I heard a cold voice say, instantly I was awake, I used my elbows to help me sit upright and saw the Darkling sitting on the other side of the room reading a book, "Or should I say good evening," he closed the book, setting it on the table next to him, his dark eyes stared at me, waiting for me to say something, "You can talk, you know?" he told me.

"Where am I?" I demanded, I was scared, scared more than I had ever been but I wasn't going to let him see that.

"The little palace, you've been all everyone's talked about since we brought you here"

"You mean kidnapped, you kidnapped me and brought me here against my will"

"This is the only safe place for people like us" he tried explaining to me.

"Like us? I'm not like you, and I was perfectly safe until you people came, destroyed, and murdered my village, I would have been perfectly fine if you had just left us alone" I shouted at him.

"Don't raise your voice at me" he said standing up, "You'll come around, but for now, you will remain in your room until further notice, when I think you are ready, I will have someone come give you your training schedule"

I stared at him in shock as he went out the door, I wasn't going to let this man tell me what to do, I went over to the door and turned the knob, it was locked, I kicked the door out of frustration and then slid down to the floor, the room I was in was beautiful, a beautiful prison, it was big and spacious with a huge bed, desk, couch, and fireplace, there was an archway covered by a curtain that Rena presumed led to a bathroom, she let her head fall into her knees and she cried, she finally let her dam of emotions break and they all came flooding out, each and every piece of sorrow and grief she had been holding hostage was finally free as she tried to comprehend everything that had happened.