Chapter 48

As his advisors filled out of the tent after I told them what I could I pressed my palms to my eyes.

I told them the bare minimum, but it was still too much, and although I wasn't on my mother's side that didn't mean I wanted my father to do this.

I looked over to my father who was leaning against the side of the table, "I want to see him," I said, "Luka, I need to speak to him."

"See and speak are two different things," he thought aloud.

I blew out a frustrated breath, "We're children, what do you honestly think we're going to do, there's only two of us," I thought for a moment, "There are only two of us, right?"

He nodded, "Alright you can have ten minutes at most," I let my shoulders relax from their tensed up position, previously ready to argue my point, "Under supervision," there it was, the catch.

He must have seen my move before I made it as he held up his hand to stop me, "Don't try my generosity, Rena."

I rolled my eyes, I'd hardly call that generosity but arguing with him would get me nowhere, instead I nodded.

He led me to a tent that held cells often meant for holding soldiers who drank too much and couldn't control themselves.

"Ten minutes, that's all you have, don't let me come back to you still being here," he nodded to the guards to watch us and left.

Immediately I ran to the bars of a cell where I saw the familiar face of my best friend, "Luka," I whispered trying not to be overheard by the guard, "Luka are you alright? He didn't hurt you did he? Please Luka, talk to me please."

He turned to face me and I saw the suspicion in his eyes, "Why are you here Rena? Are you with him?"

"What? No, not really, look its a long story but-"

"Where's Sophie?" He asked. I didn't respond, the memory too fresh, like salt in a wound, "Where's Sophie?" He asked, worry rising in his voice.

I sank to the ground, "She's not here," I told him. I could see the next question lingering in his eyes, where. "Our cart was intercepted by Fjerdan's, if it wasn't for her-" I took a deep breath to keep my tears at bay, "She saved me, I've never seen a Fabrikator fight so well, we thought we had finished all of them off but-" another breath, "They killed her, and I killed them, it wasn't right, neither of them should have died, they were both just human. Fjerdan's, Grisha, Shu, we all have something in common, we're all human and we're all scared."

He sat down aswell, the bars of the cell the only thing keeping our backs from being against each other, "When the two of you didn't show up at the-" he eyed the guard watching us, "At the place. We presumed the worst. The rest of the Durasts didn't show up until a week later, said they took a longer route for safety after the attack, Zina nearly lit the entire meadow on fire with lightning when you weren't there, and Koldan, he tried to go looking for both of you, Botkin found him trying to sneak out. And me well, I was devastated of course but someone had to be the voice of reason in the group, I had faith in you, your the most talented Grisha I've met in years and Sophie had brains to challenge even David Kostyk."

There was a snicker at the far end of the tent, "Darling no one can compete with David's brains."

We turned towards the voice and when I squinted I saw a shock of the most beautiful shade of red hair, "Genya," I gasped standing up, I looked down to Luka and his face was just as shocked as mine, obviously he didn't know she was there, he shuffled as close as he could to her cell as I walked over.

"Hello Rena," she greeted, "Luka."

Her back was facing us and she was hunched over, as if ashamed, "Genya are you-"