Chapter 39

I stood up abruptly. "It's late, I-I should get back to the little palace," I stuttered, "Before it gets late, it was nice meeting you, ma'am."

I tried not to run towards the door in my haste, but somehow managed to knock over a pot, I fumbled with it, putting it back on the table it was stood upon.

I headed straight back to my room, ignoring the curious yet worried glances from some of the servants that were still awake going about their work.

_____________________________
___________________

"How on earth did you lose it," Zina huffed, "It's a kefta, Rena, and a black one at that!!"

I groaned, we had been searching my room for nearly half an hour now for my kefta. We didn't have any classes today but it still didn't effect the fact that it was lost.

There was a knock at the door, "I'll get it," Zina offered. She went over to the door and opened it slightly, "Oh, it's just you two, come on, we need help."

"With what?" I heard Luka ask as they came in, shutting the door behind them.

"Some idiot named Rena," Zina proclaimed, "Lost, her kefta," if it was possible for me to get any redder from embarrassment, I did. Luka and Koldan both looked at me with faces that said, how in the name of all Saints did you manage that?

I flopped down on my bed, burrowing my head in my hands, "Look I don't know how it happened. When I came in from supper to go to bed I laid it over the back of my desk chair like I always do, washed my face and came back out to get into my night clothes and then-" my head perked up as I realized where I left it. I groaned, "You have to be kidding me."

They all looked at me quizzically, "What is it? Do you remember?" Zina asked hopefully.

"Unfortunately." I responded standing up, "This is going to be interesting," I opened the door and they followed me as I led them to Baghra's hut.

The parth that was covered in thorns and branches before was now cleared, give or take the odd stick.

"Rena," Zina started, catching up to me, "You mean to tell us that you left your kefta....... in there?"

"I think the real question here is," Koldan interjected, "Why did you go without us. I mean we-"

Luka shouldered him, "The actual real question here is why were you in there," he asked.

I shivered as a breeze flew past, my light shirt doing nothing to protect me from the cold, "It's a long story." I admitted as we neared the door. "You should wait here," I decided while reaching to knock.

The looked like they were about to protest but the words died on their tongues as Misha opened the door and stepped out, he didn't even notice us until he had closed the door.

He looked startled as he saw the four of us staring at him, his eyes finnaly landed on me. "Misha," I greeted, giving him a warm smile, "I-"

"Left your kefta here," he finished, Zina tilted her head at him while Koldan narrowed his eyes, Luka was the only one other than me offering him a warm smile.

I took a chance, "Could you get it for me, please?" I asked, I really didn't want to go into that hut again.

He shook his head frantically and I could tell he wasn't going to budge, "Alright then," I sighed, "See you at my funeral."

He got the hint and left us, the other three still trying to comprehend what had happened. "You know he's a palace servant, you could have just ordered him to go back in," Koldan said.

"He's a child. " I corrected. I took a deep breath and knocked on the door, when no response came I slowly opened it and poked my head inside, hoping that it was empty.

I heard voices as I entered, "I can't do that. I won't," one of them said.

"Then do what you like, girl. I'm done with this life, and I'm done with you," the voice of Baghra said. Her head snapped up "Stop sneaking about child, what do you want?" She asked.

I knew she was talking to me, I came in and I saw Baghra and Alina look up at me, Baghra tracking the noise of my steps, "I- um, I left my kefta here," I said. Whatever they were arguing about must have taken it's toll on Alina as she got up and basically ran from the room, not too unlike what I had done the previous night, I noticed. "What was that about?" I asked.

Baghra scoffed and I was certain if I could still see her eyes they would have rolled, "Nothing that concerns you."

"You should like my father," I mumbled.

She ignored my statement, standing up from her bundled pile of blankets by her fire and walking over to a small cupboard, "You seemed in a hurry last night, I scared you off, hm?"

"I was tired," I replied, not anxious to have this conversation.

"Ah yes, and I'm the king," she she muttered, she brought out my kefta from her cupboard and closed it, walking back to me. She gave it back to me, "I'm trying to help you, Rena."

"Rena?!" I heard Luka shout, "Can I come in, Koldan and Zina are about to have a fart fight."

I almost snorted, "No, I'm coming now."

"Your, friends?" Baghra questioned.

"You sound surprised."

"It's not common to find loyal friends," she commented almost like she was in a trance.

I shrugged, "Well, I guess I'm lucky, thank you for my kefta," I didn't know what to do, so I awkwardly squeezed her hand that was still gripping my kefta, I didn't think she noticed, seemingly lost in her own thoughts.

__________________________
________________

"What's in there?" Zina asked me, "Actually, what happened? Your mother-"

"Not my mother," I corrected her as I closed the door to the hut, I shrugged on my kefta and we walked back down the path.

Zina seemed a bit confused but continued, "Right, Alina, just burst out and straight past us, she looked like she was gonna cry."

I shrugged, "Don't have a clue why she was in there, I didn't even know for certain if she knew about it. As for what's in there-" I considered my next words, "I'm not even sure," technically it wasn't a lie, I didn't know if I should trust Baghra's words or not, I mean last time I was in a situation like this I found my father.