Chapter 55

A Tidemaker approached slowly, looking like she too was on the verge of tears, "Rena th-"

"No, don't you dare say it, don't," I choked, "Please no." I collapsed into her waiting arms. "But they're still alive," she gave me a pitying look, "I'm telling the truth, why won't you believe me?" I broke away from her and started clawing at the stone again, "I'm not going to let them die down there."

"Rena-" she tugged me back, "It's alright, we'll get them out, just take a deep breath, step back a bit alright?"

I did as she said and she gave me a small, weak smile. Looking over to the group of Grisha that still hadn't moved, she signaled for them to start at a small opening.

Everyone worked together, the Squallers blasting away large chunks of debris, Tidemakers doing their best to funnel oxygen down the small cracks, even the Heartrenders heaved away blocks as the Healers attended to the wounded. I shone a light on their workings, trying to stay out of everyone's way but also eager to save my parents.

At the first sign of skin I forgot all morals and dropped my light, shouting for a healer while I ran to whoever it may be. One down one to go.

The Healer joined me at the small piece of the body we had found, I held my breath as she clasped her hands together, feeling for a pulse.

Her shoulders sagged in relief as she looked up at the small group that had formed, "Adult male," she told us, "His pulse is weak, work carefully."

Slowly people started to remove the pieces of rubble atop the body, and at the first glimpse of a black kefta the Inferni took over light duty for me.

When his face was finally revealed I took in the damage, there were scratches all across his face, blood stained from his nose to his chin, and his nose was slightly off, other than that he seemed fine given the circumstances, thin and pale but fine.

Remembering an old wives tale my adoptive mother had once told me I reached inside my kefta and took out my knife, the Healer beside me bristled slightly, "What do you-"

"Relax, I'm not going to stab him," carefully I positioned the blade of the dagger underneath his nose, needing to check for myself. Sure enough, every few seconds the metal of the blade fogged up a bit as air came out his nose, not enough to be healthy but it was still there.

The last of the stone was removed from his legs as I took my blade back. Slowly two men hauled him up, an arm slung across each shoulder as a Healer tried to asses the situation. Surprisingly when they seemed happy they had all the information they needed, they turned to me, "He's going to need lots of rest before he heals properly, where'll we put him?"

After I realized they were talking to me I froze for a moment, "The little palace is in disarray," I thought aloud and saw a few nervous looks on the soldiers around me, it was their home after all, "The grand palace," I sighed, "One of the spare rooms in the grand palace will do, please go with him," I asked, "My mother she- I've still to find her."

There were a few shared glances as my father was hauled away, "What?" I asked, "She's one of us, we can't just leave her."

I hadn't realised I was shaking until someone put their hand on my shoulder, "Hey, hey look at me it's alright," the inferni from before said, "I saw the tracker, what's his name Mike."

"Malyen," I supplied.

"Ya that one, he grabbed her, went through that hole the others escaped through," he was still holding onto my shoulder, the weight a small comfort grounding me, "She's alright kiddo, she's alive. If you really don't believe me we can get the heartrenders to do a quick sweep but I know what I saw, she's safe and your tired."

I knew he was right but there was that small nagging voice in the back of my head saying she was still in danger. The storm was yet to settle.

________________________
________________

Back at the little palace I put myself to use, unable to get the image of the curch crumbling down on my parents out of my head, too scared of the restless sleep that was sure to come.

The damage wasn't as bad as I had presumed, but the stench of death was vile. Bodies littered the floor and I tried to hold back my sob as I saw the limp body of Fredyor and the shredded face of Marie.

As far as I could see Adrik had made it out, not that I would ever admit it but I was worried for him. I knew the main reason he wanted to stay was because he felt a sort of responsibility to protect his sister, even if he was younger, but this battleground was no place for the two of us.

I was like a walking corpse on my way to the grand palace, exhaustion finally eating its way through my system. But there was one thing I had to do before my unwelcome sleep cast itself upon me, my father, I had to check, I just had to.

I found my way to him by the stream of healers, slowly making their way back to the battlefield to save who they could. They were absolutely glowing, but I could tell they were starting to tire, our power left us rejuvenated but too much can tire us out.

I knocked on the door as I went in on the slight chance he was already awake. A lone Healer stood by him, finishing up with a wound on the side of his head.

I just stood there for a while. The Healer, seemingly satisfied with their work, packed up their kit. They looked like they were going to say something to me but decided against it and left the room. Probably for the best I didn't know how much more bad news I could take.

After a bit I sat down on the other side of the large bed and just stared at him, willing his body to jolt awake, to let me know he was alright, that he was alive, that somewhere inside all those shadows my father was still there.

The father who had taught me to use my gifts, the father who had had patience when I first arrived at the little palace. The father who trusted me to go to the Shu front with him and show me my old home. The father who had gently tapped a stick against my head when he was impressed.

The father who cared, who loved me.

Tears slowly leacked from my eyes, racing down my face. I couldn't take it anymore, sniffing I curled up at the end of the bed so I wouldn't accidentally hit him and muffled my sobs into the bed.

Before I knew it I was asleep.