Chapter 7

To say combat training was tiring would be an understatement. Botkin had us do laps around the palace grounds for what seemed like forever then went immediately into self-defense drills without even allowing for a small break to catch our breaths, although it seemed as though I was the only one who would need it.

I was paired up with Zina who showed me some basic stances and maneuvers, we then practiced those on each other, I knew she was holding back but I still landed on either my back or arse every time, I didn't let it show how annoyed I was that I wasn't able to do it and instead just laughed it off every time.

When training was over I had aches and pains everywhere, Zina barely had a scratch on her, even after I assured Zina that she didn't have to apologise and that I was fine she continued on doing so. "You heard her Zi, she's fine, see" Koldan punched me in the arm and I stumbled, "She's still functioning,"

Zina sent a strong breeze against him with a flick of her hand as he walked and we laughed, he eventually got free and came up back to the three of us, hair ruffled from the wind, "I think someone's looking for you," Zina whispered in my ear nodding at the top of a hill where a man stood half engulfed in shadow.

I sighed and started walking towards him, "See you at dinner!!" Luka called, I nodded and then watched them go back into the palace before making my towards the darkling.

"How was your combat training?" He asked me staring into the distance.

"Eventful" I responded standing awkwardly behind him, how was anyone supposed to talk to this man?

He turned around and looked at me, his quartz eyes staring into my brown ones, "All the books you need to catch up have been sent to your room," He told me.

"Great," I responded dryly.

"You're not a big fan of reading?"

"I like the odd novel, but I'm more of a practical learner, doing this with my hands, fixing, making, that sort of thing,"

"But you're not a Fabrikator,"

"Does that mean I can't enjoy a bit of DIY?" I retorted.

"No, it doesn't, it's only that... nevermind. The tailor said that they would come to fit you for a proper kefta after dinner."

My eyebrows furrowed "I thought this was my kefta?"

"No that was their template for scrawny eight year old," he said nonchalant. I just scoffed, "You're settling in fine?"

"I'm surviving," I answered back, the place was beautiful, and it would probably be even more beautiful if Rena would just accept the fact that this was her life now, but she couldn't do that, she was petty and everyone would have to deal with that.

"I have one question though," I admitted, I needed to know the answer to this if I was going to accept anything, he raised a brow, "Am I a prisoner here?"

"Why would you think that?"

"So I'm able to leave the grounds and explore the city like everyone else?"

"Well, no,"

"Am I able to go into the woods without being followed by guards who think they're doing a good job of being invisible?"

"Not exactly,"

"That's all I needed to hear," I walked back down the hill to go back inside for dinner.

"You know, it's for your own-"

"Safety?" I finished for him, "Sure, you tell yourself that," she was slightly concerned that she'd be in troubled for speaking to the general like that but as she walked into the domed hall there was still no indication that she was.

___________________
_____________

Dinner flew by, I was too tired to talk much so I mainly just listened to Zina and Luka talk. Koldan, not wanting to risk more punishment, stayed at his table for dinner, occasionally glancing over and making faces with us, but mainly talking to other Corporalki.

"-and then they had to launch him into the lake," Luka finished laughing,
"Anyways, on a more obvious note, when were you planning on telling us you spoke fluent Shu, Rena??"

I looked up from my food, "Uh- well I kind of thought it was obvious," I said gesturing to my face, "You know, a girl from Shu han, probably speaks Shu,"

"Then how can you speak like us?" Zina questioned.

"Well," I blushed, "When you live on the border there's usually rich merchants crossing over and back, it's handy to know and you pick up a few things, not all of them are words," I mumbled.

Zina gasped at me, "You stole their things?"

"Well I have rules, I only steal from the rude rich people, and I only ever steal a small bit of food and replaceable things, everything has rules you know," I had grown quite good at it aswell, I never told my adoptive parents that I stole them, only that I had found them on the ground, saints knows the scolding I would have gotten if they found out.

After dinner everyone retired to their quarters for the night and I did the same.

When I entered my room there, on the desk were the most books I had ever seen in my life, now I was a big fan of reading, I loved escaping to a diffrent reality where I could hide away from all my problems, but the whole village had only 2 books altogether, and I almost knew them by heart I would read them so often.

There were 2 piles, stacked tall, some thick and some small, and varying in colour. As I was going to pick up one there was a knock at the door, "Come in," I called, an old woman came into my room followed by a few maids.

She looked me over with a critical eye before giving orders to the maids who pushed me behind a changing screen and took off my clothes, the old woman then came behind with a measuring tape and glasses, "Quit your squirming girl and stay still," she scolded, she started measuring every part of my body, making comments every so often like, "Your very skinny," or, "Who knew the generals daughter would be so sickly looking," every so often.

After a while she seemed satisfied with what she had collected and went over to my wardrobe, she threw a nightgown at me and took most of the clothes that looked too big for me out, handing them to the maids, she told me that when I woke up in the morning they would all be replaced with ones that were my size, and then left with the maids.

_____________________
_____________

A/N: Hey everyone, surprise chapter update!!

I know I said I'd update every Friday, and that is still going to happen, but I got a lot of chapters written today cause I was feeling inspired.

So I hope you're enjoying the book so far and holy milo, six hundred reads?!?!? Um THANK YOU!! I never thought this would get twenty, nevermind SIX BLOODY HUNDRED!!

Once again, thank you so much for reading, don't forget to vote and comment any speculations, remarks or just constructive criticism, I'm always willing to learn more from you guys. Stay safe out there.

P.S congrats Italy!! I'm more of a GAA person myself than a soccer person, but well done, you deserve it!!
Ok, ok I'm gone this time, peace out.

~Sarah (PoshStarfish775)