Chapter 26

Note; I used some of Leigh's own writing from siege and storm in this

____________________
____________

It had been a little over a week since we left the harbour at Novyi Zem, where we were headed? I had no idea.

My father had been keeping me busy with books and quizzing me on them from time to time, saying 'it was for my education' but in reality we both knew it was an attempt to distract me from the elephant in the room, or on the ship in this case.

One day I had snuck out of my room, and read my book in the crows nest at half mast, Tamar and Toyla were there working the ropes and keeping a look out.

It was a beautiful day, the air was fresh and the sun was shining down on everyone's faces.

I caught sight of a splash of back ink in the sea of colourful keftas and sailor attire below me. My father had walked to the top of the ship and was looking out over the sea, something was going on, he rarely left his quarters, he had too much paperwork to do, and his presence also put some of the crew on edge, he hadn't noticed me in the crows nest, that's what I loved about it, I could see everyone but they couldn't see me. He said something to Ivan who was nearby which sent him below deck to carry out the order.

After a while the sound of struggling and heavy boots on the steps brought my attention to the hatch Ivan had disappeared to. Everyone who looked over, which was most people, had the same look as me on their face, pure absolute shock, at least that let me know it hadn't happened before while I was confined to my room.

My mother, the sun summoner, Sankta Alina, Alina Starkov, was being led towards the Darkling by two Grisha in blood red keftas, Ivan and Genya.

She looked around frantically, nothing but ocean for miles, neither Ivan or Genya would meet her stare but for different reasons. They left Alina standing behind the Darkling and left, I could only hear snippets of their conversation from where I was but i could see everything, the otkazat'sya who had been questioned when he first arrived was at the other end of the ship, flanked by heartrenders, his hands bound but his gaze never leaving the girl, who was this man?

The wind died down a bit and I heard some of their conversation.

"And if he were, would you throw yourself into the ocean?" My father said, slightly irritated.

"Only if I could take you with me," obviously that's where I got my sarcasm from.

"At ease, Alina, turn around," he said coldly.

She whipped around and her eyes immediately went to the boy who was still staring at her, she started forward but was stopped by a firm grip.

"No further," the Darkling ordered.

"Just let me see him," she pleaded, desperation evident in her voice.

He shook his head and the rest of their conversation was inaudible, eventually the unknown boy was punched in the gut, causing him to let out a painful grunt when Alina tried to resist, apparently it made a point, he was dragged away, and after a few more words, so was Alina.

Every day after that she would be brought up to the top of the deck where she could see the boy from afar and get a gulp of fresh air, her hands were still bound in Grisha cuffs day in and day out, after about half an hour she would be taken back below deck until the next day.

_________________________
_______________

One day while we were sailing through some questionable terrain, I had once again snuck up to the crows nest for some fresh air and to read, Tamar was on look out, she had stopped questioning why I always came up a while back.