Chapter 29

I used Leigh's description of the sea whip from the book and edited to suit my story, so it's not exactly the same, I just couldn't come up with a good description:)

________________________
_______________

I groaned, all I wanted to do right now was go and get some fresh air, not be interrogated. "What's there to tell?" I huffed.

"Rena," he scolded.

"I don't know how I did it," I admitted, "I was bored so I started messing around, I just let it engulf me and reached for someone like me, someone with the same power."

"Like calls to like," he murmured under his breath. After a moment of consideration his head snapped up to mine and he said, "Don't tell anyone else about this until we fully understand it," he stepped aside and unlocked the door.

I leaped up from the bed, "Finnaly!!" I exclaimed, "Freedom!!"

I exited the room and went above deck, soaking in the evening sun on my face and breathing the fresh ocean air.

I leaned on the starboard rail and looked out into the ocean, I had always dreamed of seeing the true sea, always wanted to be sailing away on a ship, free from the war and the burden it handed me.

I felt a pair of eyes on the back of my head and I turned around, the tracker, Mal I remembered, was at the other end of the ship, his gaze trained on me in a questioning manner, I returned his stare, leaning backwards with my elbows on the railing, I tilted my head to the side slightly and gave him a single wave with my elbows still on the railing. I turned back around as I broke our stare leaving him slightly startled, obviously he didn't have people being the first ones to look away enough.

When I reluctantly retired to my room for the night I saw Genya asleep in the bottom bunk, she opened her eyes when I came in and gave me a greeting grunt before falling back to sleep.

The next morning I heard running in the hall and shouting from above deck, I threw on my clothes and kefta, then quickly made my way above deck to see what the commotion was about.

I followed a group of people into the dim gray light of early morning. The deck was crowded with Grisha gazing out at the water while Squallers worked the winds, and Sturmhond’s crew manned the sails above.

The mist was heavier than the day before. It clung thick against the water and crawled in damp tendrils over the ship’s hull. The silence was broken only by the trackers directions and the orders Sturmhond called.

I gathered with the crowd of people beside the rail, trying to get a look at what was going on. My father, Sturmhond and the tracker were talking at the top of the ship, I looked out over the horizon and saw a smudge in the distance, I tapped Ivan who was closest to me on the shoulder, "What's that?" I asked him.

He peered out to where I was pointing, "Nothing good," he muttered, turning, he went to the Darkling and reported the find.

I strayed to the edges of the crowd, avoiding being squashed and pushed. Longboats holding men with harpoons and nets were being lowered over the side, it was sad really, this was the reason I never liked unnecessary hunting, the life of an innocent taken when it could have been spared.

A cry rang out “Two points off the starboard bow!”

As one, everyones heads turned, and we stilled. Something was moving in the mist, a shimmering, undulating white shape.