Chapter 21

I returned to the little palace with Fredyor and a few other Grisha rather uneventfuly.

I had gone against what I said to my father and gave into naming my horse as it seemed we were inseparable. With the help of Fredyor, the name I settled on was 'Sumerki' Twilight, the time between, night and day, a perfect mix of the two.

We had just arrived back and I had offered to help Fredyor untack the horses while the other Grisha went and rested.

I was brushing down Sumerki and talking to Fredyor when guards came bustling into the stables, wepons drawn. They surrounded us while we looked on in confusion.

"What is the meaning of this?" Fredyor demanded as two guards advanced on me, grabbing my arms and forcing them into Grisha cuffs.

"Shut your mouth, bloodletter," one of the guards growled.

They pushed me forwards roughly causing me to stubble, Fredyor started forward, "It's fine Fredyor," I reassured him before he did anything he might regret, "It's probably just some mistake. Could you take care of Sumerki for me?"

He didn't seem happy about it but hesitantly he nodded and picked up the brush I had dropped while the guards led me towards the grand palace, offering no explanation.

______________________
_____________

As we entered the grand palace everyone averted my gaze, making me wonder what I had done, I was nothing but kind to all the servants, I always said please and thank you. The only time I had met any nobles was the king and queen and even then I was told I did everything correctly, so I couldn't have offended them in any way. Yes I did give a slightly sarcastic comment to the prince, but I'm sure he would have killed me already if it had really gone that deep.

The guards pushed me through the palace until we came to a stop infront of said prince, he looked me over with distaste and sneered when he saw me in cuffs.

"Put her in the dungeons with the other traitor," he ordered, "The king will question her in the morning."

"Moi tsarevich," I said with as much forced politeness as I could muster before they could drag me away, "Would you mind me asking why on earth I'm being arrested."

He gave me a foul look, "You, are in no position to ask anything, witch."

And before I knew it I was dragged down to the dungeons and thrown into a cell.

I groaned as I struggled to sit up against the wall, "Rena?" I heard someone squeak from the other side of the cell.

I looked up, staring into the dark, "Who's there?" I asked.

Genya walked out of the shadows and crouched down beside me, "I can't believe it, they wouldn't punish you for this," she mumbled to herself.

"What's going on?" I asked her, a slight waver to my voice, "That prince, Vasily, he called me a witch, I thought, I thought Grisha were welcome here."

Genya looked back at me, "We were, but, the king seems to have suddenly, changed his mind."

"But they didn't arrest Fredyor? They hardly spared him a second glance, why did they just go after me?" I asked, she raised a brow at me, "Right," I said realisation settling on my shoulders. I was the daughter to the general, of course they would go after me. "But why did they arrest you?" I questioned, curiosity spiking in me.