Chapter Sixty-Two

18 years later

I peer in the mirror, squinting. My face is blurrier than it used to be. I'm still getting used to my glasses.

Wrinkles form at the corners of my eyes. I brush a few strands of hair out of my eyes. I swear, there's more white scattered amongst the black each morning.

I brush my teeth and my hair before I shave. Then I head to my room and pull on a nice outfit. I choose black slacks and a jacket, and a white button up underneath. I usually opt for just a suit top, but I'm colder these days.

I pause, sitting on the side of the bed. I reach down, picking up the photo of (Y/n) and I when we were younger. Today she'll be missing the graduation of our children. I know she'd be beaming with pride if she were still here today.

I reach up, touching her wedding and engagement rings, which hang around my neck on a silver chain. I sigh before setting the picture down and standing upright.

I walk down the stairs, taking my time, before walking out to the stable. I pass the stable where (Y/n) kept George. He passed away a couple years ago. I'd been riding him all this time, but after he started to slow down I let Kuchel take care of him.

I climb on my horse and ride into town.

Hajime is choosing to work directly with Queen Historia and be a body guard. He has a girlfriend and plans on marrying her. He wants to be a father and settle down in the countryside.

Kuchel chose to be a doctor. She's very nurturing. She hasn't dated anyone. But I have a feeling she may be interested in women. I support her regardless.

They both are finished school and are graduating today. The survey corps was dismantled after the Titans were killed off.

If I had known it would be this way I would've tried to stop (Y/n) from fighting. But she was determined. And that's a flame you can't easily extinguish. I'm just thankful my kids don't have to fight.

I hitch my horse, carefully hopping down onto the grass, and I find my seat. Hanji sits by my side.

She smiles at me, her sad eyes barely visible behind her thick lenses. She knows how much I wished (Y/n) could be here today.

"Hello, Captain." I hear from behind me.

I peer over my shoulder, seeing Mikasa sitting behind me, Jean by her side, their fingers intertwined.

"It's good to see you two."

"Of course, Captain. We wouldn't miss this for the world."

"The kids couldn't make it out today?" Hanji asks.

"They're in school." Jean responds. "They'll be walking across this platform in a couple years."

Connie sits beside Jean. He sits with his wife.

A twinge of pain tugs at my heart strings. This is all that is left of my squad. I'm glad they're still here.

The ceremony begins, the class instructor talking about her students and all they have achieved in recent years, and watching them grow into brave young adults.

There is a brief moment to remember all who died to give us freedom from the Titans and to be thankful for our hard-fought peace.

Soon, graduates start to gather on stage. Kuchel and Hajime come out first, since their last name starts with 'A'.

Hajime finds me in the crowd and gives me a big grin. He looks excited. Kuchel looks nervous.

I hope I was a good parent to them over the years. Raising kids as a single parent is hard, especially when nurturing isn't an immediate instinct of mine. I spent a lot of their childhood mimicking (Y/n)'s parenting style before I finally felt comfortable settling into my own.

I know I wasn't the most emotionally available. But I hope they know I tried.

I feel pride watching my grown children march across the stage to collect their diplomas.

Kuchel has a graceful stride. Hajime barrels across, almost tripping on his way off the stage. He definitely takes after his mother.

When the ceremony finishes the twins find me. I wrap my arms around each of them, holding them for a few moments in my embrace. It still baffles me to think of how fast they have grown.

"I'm proud of you both." I tell them, smiling softly.

"Thanks pops." Hajime says, patting my back. His voice is deep and booming. He towers over me.

"Thank you dad." Kuchel responds, her voice soft. She doesn't like being around large crowds for too long.

"I made reservations at the Loaf and Ale for dinner to celebrate. I know you liked eating there when you were kids. I hope you still enjoy it."

"Of course. Their garlic bread is to die for." Hajime says.

I almost tell him not to talk like that. But he's a grown adult. I have been working on not projecting my feelings onto innocent bystanders.

We climb into the carriage that awaits us, Hajime helping me up the steps.

It slowly takes off, vibrating as the wheels roll over the cobblestone street below.

I lean my head back, closing my eyes. I get tired very easily. My body is slowly failing on me.

It isn't long before we arrive at the pub. We go inside and find seats. A waitress comes along, offering us drinks and telling us the specials.

We give our orders and she smiles, striding away.

"I'm so glad school is finally over. I can't wait to start my career." Kuchel says.

"You'll make a wonderful doctor." I tell her, reaching across the table and placing my hand over hers. "I'm glad you're following your dreams."

"Thanks dad. I didn't think I could do it at the start. No one has heard of a female doctor. I was told it was a silly idea."

"That's bullshit." Hajime says. "You'll be a better doctor than any of those other buffalos."

"I appreciate that." She says, chuckling.

I watch as her eyes close, her mouth turning into a smile. It makes my heart ache. She looks just like her mother when she smiles like that.

I instinctively reach up, touching the rings that still hang around my neck. The metal feels smooth and cool to the touch, except where a few shining rocks sit. I inhale deeply and smile.

"I wonder what mom would've thought about my profession choice." Kuchel muses, as if reading my mind.

"She would've been so proud." I tell her truthfully. "She knew you both were destined for great things."

"I miss her." Hajime says. "I don't remember much of her. But I still miss her."

"I miss her, too." I admit.

I know I'll see her again one day. But the wait is long and difficult.