Chapter Fifty-Six

Your POV

We ride out of the walls on our horses, galloping full speed ahead. Our goal is to reach the treeline, abandon our horses, and pick off the crowd of Titans from the trees. The group of monsters is too large to go in head on.

"Left!" Levi commands, his group, followed by the rest of the formation, moving to the left as word is spread down the line.

A Titan in the distance spots us, its empty eyes narrowing hungrily. It charges, its legs moving faster, in an attempt to catch up to us, but we're long gone in little time.

As we reach the trees word follows from the front of the formation that the group of Titans is closer than anticipated and the very front of the group has been almost entirely wiped out.

"Spread word down the line that everyone is to immediately advance to the trees. Abandon the horses where they are." Levi tells the messenger. He then pulls a canister from his pocket, loading it into his pistol. He holds it up, covering his ear with his free hand. He fires a line of red smoke into the air.

We stop our horses, switching to ODM gear. I attach to the tree above my head and soar high, landing gracefully on a large branch. Levi and the rest of his squad land beside me.

"We will fight the Titans from here. Don't be stupid. If a Titan spots you dive into the trees so they lose track of you. If you can't get out of the way take it down."

"Yes, Captain!" We respond, saluting.

We part ways, soaring through the trees. I can see the heads of Titans peeking over the tree branches ahead.

Our goal is to be stealthy.

One by one we take out the Titans. One after the other. In the corner of my eye I see a Titan.

The 15 m Titan spots me, and it runs toward me. I draw my blades, using three dimensional manoeuver to attach to the massive beast. I fly forward, spinning like a torpedo as I tear through the air.
I bring my blades forward, preparing to rip open the nape.
Suddenly something grabs me in midair and I stop. I can't move, my limbs and blades being crushed against my sides. I push outward, trying to move my blades and slice at the fingers, but the Titan's grip tightens. My blades dig into my legs, all air being forced out of my lungs.
I begin to scream, using my remaining breath to cry for help.
Hanji and another recruit take down the Titan I was aiming for, their cloaks like streaks of green in the bright blue sky.
The ugly monster releases me, holding me upside down by my leg. I swing back and forth, feeling a crack in my calf. Another scream comes, this one from another, more internal pain. I look up, seeing my leg bent in a weird angle.
I hold tight onto the handles of my blades. I need to try to swing up and cut its fingers off.
It lifts me high, my body hovering over its face. And all my repressed fear seems to come flooding forth, breaking down the dams that I'd so carefully built up. One look in its eyes and I feel my stomach turn to lead.
Frozen by fear I maniacally scream for Levi. His name comes tearing up my throat, "let me go" mixed in with it, burning my throat like acid.
The Titan opens its mouth. I peer down into the deep abyss, past the teeth, into the darkness of its throat. I never thought it would come down to this.
The teeth are massive, perfectly designed for chewing up humans. One chomp and I'll be in pieces.
I remember the last time I was in this situation, right after the Titans broke into Shiganshina. Levi came in and rescued me.
I think of Levi, Kuchel, and Hajime and I begin to cry.
I have to stay alive, for them.
I feel the pressure in my leg go away, and I begin to fall, the Titans gaping mouth open to catch me.
I land on its tongue, the light above me quickly disappearing at it closes its mouth. I raise my hands, pushing against the roof of its mouth, holding it open with all my strength.
"HELP! SOMEONE HELP!" I cry as loudly as I can.
It tries to force its jaws closed. I feel my strength begin to fade, my muscles screaming in protest. My entire body shudders.
"LEVI!" I call, my voice fading with my strength.
What will our kids do without me? I'm their mother. They deserve​ to have a mother in their life.
Tears fill my eyes, blinding me. I can't hold on any longer. Why isn't someone helping me?
As I feel my arms begin to lower I sob, knowing this is it. I'm good as dead now.
I reach forward, the jaws snapping closed all the way, my hand being bitten off at the elbow. All light disappears as I feel myself fall backward. I scream as I slip down the monster's throat, being yanked into the pool of darkness.