Chapter Two

Levi's Point of View

I rest at my desk in my office, sipping my cup of tea, a cigarette in my mouth. I read the morning newspaper, since I couldn't this morning, due to the attack in the outer wall. This is the first break I've gotten since I woke up.

I hear footsteps outside of my door, followed by a booming knock. Before I can speak up, Erwin is walking through the door.

"Reveille, I have good news. That girl you rescued, despite endangering the lives of your entire squad, is doing well. In fact, she wants to meet you to say thank you." I can hear the accusations in his tone.

"Erwin, I'm not in the mood to be scolded." I respond, not looking up from my paper. My voice sounds monotone, despite the ease I feel, knowing the girl is safe.

"I'm not here to scold you. I'm just here to remind you of the importance of one girl's life, versus the lives of your entire squad." He sits on the edge of my desk.

"They can handle themselves," I answer.

"That's not my point." He begins to sound annoyed.

"Listen, she was badly wounded. She needed immediate help. It took less than a moment to bring her to safety."

"Fine, Levi. I won't fight with you. But don't forget what I said." At that he stands upright and walks off, shutting my door behind him.

"Tch."

Your Point of View

Later that evening, as a nurse is changing my bandages, I hear a commotion down the hall.

"...My business..." I make out of a sea of voices and hushed whispers. A few moments later the voices grow louder and I see Captain Levi Ackerman enter the large room I'm in.

He peers around the area, narrowing his eyes. His gaze stops on me and he glides over, each step careful, yet graceful. He ducks his head as he approaches my bedside.
He's one of the most popular recruits in the Survey Corps. Despite being so grumpy all the time, he's a hit with the ladies, though he's never been seen with anyone.

He tucks a strand of black hair behind his ear, peering down at me with cool, grey eyes. He holds my gaze captive for a long moment. Finally, he looks away to sit in the chair by my bed. I let out an airy sigh I didn't even know I was holding in.

"Captain Ackerman..." I say softly, my mind suddenly a mess. I attempt to quickly form a coherent sentence in my hazy brain, but words fail me.

"Yes, I heard you wanted to talk me." He speaks low, his voice as smooth a silk.

He doesn't meet my eyes. Instead, he looks at something over me. The nurse quietly gasps, quickly securing my bandages before leaving in a rush. My eyes widen slightly as I look back towards Captain Levi. I find him already watching me, a curious expression playing across his usually emotionless features.

"You may refer to me as Levi. I am off duty so Captain will be unnecessary."

"Oh, right." My cheeks grow warm. I feel intimated by his gaze, acknowledging this man could easily annihilate many Titans in a short time.

"What is it you wished to speak to me about? I haven't got all day, miss." He sounds a bit annoyed.
"I just, uh, wanted to thank you. For saving me yesterday."

After a moment he glances down at his fingers, adjusting the white glove that covers his slender hand. "Is that all?"

"Well, I also was thinking about joining the Scouts, if it wasn't too late."

"How old are you?"

"I am twenty-two."

"That is quite late, considering most people join around sixteen, but you could train with new recruits. It takes years of training, so don't expect to be fighting tomorrow. Also, we don't need crippled people. How did you injure yourself?"

"I cut my arm."

He peers toward the bandage on my arm. "That's fine. As soon as you get better, apply at your local registration station. From there we'll let you know whether you can join or not. Based on what I've seen of you, you appear quite fit, which is required." He gets up. "Is that everything?"

"Yes, s-sir." I stammer.

"I'll be off then. I expect to hear from you soon."

"Goodbye, Levi," I say.

"Tch." He mutters and he marches off.