Chapter Sixty-Three

I sit at home in my study later that evening, in the large arm chair I usually doze in at night. I peer down at my empty desk, reminded of the days when it was filled with paperwork and books, plans for expeditions, and recruit files. I sigh deeply, letting my head fall back. I'm glad those days are behind me. 

I am reminded of my wife, the image of her beautiful face appearing in my mind. And as usual, I feel a tug at my heart. I close my eyes, trying to remember what her voice sounded like. But it's hard to hear in my mind. 

I feel dazed for a moment, as the tugging sensation turns into pain. I lift my head, laying a hand over my chest as the feeling grows stronger, radiating into my back, down my arms, and in my neck. I clear my throat, startled by the intense feeling. 

I stand upright, nausea washing over me. I breathe deeply, but find myself short of breath. I cough hard, trying to clear my lungs, but it only makes me dizzy. I fall back into my chair. A feeling of dread overcomes me. 

"Help!" I call between coughs. Please, someone hear me. Kuchel and Hajime are here.

I try to stand again, the dizziness now accompanied by lightheadedness. I feel myself sway on my feet before tumbling to the floor. I first land on my desk, the feeling knocking the little air out of my lungs that I was barely containing. Then I slowly slide to the floor.

A few moments later I hear footsteps. 

"Dad?"

I see Kuchel appear over the top of my desk as dark ripples appear in my vision. I still clutch my chest. 

"Hajime! Come quick!" Kuchel screams, terror in her voice. 

Their voices become distant as everything begins to turn black. 

"I... love you both." I try to say, but my voice barely makes a sound. 

I feel myself begin to slip into unconsciousness. I fight against it, but I feel like I'm fighting against massive black waves, pulling me under. I can't scream and my body grows weak. I see Kuchel flash into my vison and I can feel my body being violently moved. 

I lose the battling and I am pulled deep under the waves, my entire world fading to black. This is it, I think to myself. This is how it ends. 

~~~

"What happened to him?" Hanji asks the man in white scrubs as he emerges from the examination room. 

"He appeared to have a weak heart. Due to years of trauma, is my guess. I'm surprised he lasted as long as he did. His heart is torn. He passed from what some would call a 'broken heart'."

"He dealt with a lot in his lifetime. I know he took the death of his wife very hard. He was never the same after that."

The mortician nods sadly. "He was a brave man. He faced more demons than we could ever have known. I will make sure he looks his best for his family."

"Thank you, doctor. His children feel comfort knowing he's in such good hands. As do I. Levi was one of my greatest friends. And I will make sure his kids are taken care of." Hanji says. I am all they have now, she thinks to herself. 

She adjusts her glasses, blinking the tears away from her remaining eye. She has been strong for so long. But her heart has also known much loss and it's hard for her, too. She makes a plan to travel to the remaining former survey corps member to deliver the news. It's what Levi would have wanted. 

He's finally at peace. The thought comforts Hanji. 

"Goodbye Heichou." She whispers and walks away.