Chapter Eleven

Your Point of View

1 week later

It's night. I lie in bed, my eyes lazily drifting across the ceiling. The moon is full, filling my room with white light. It filters through the leaves of the trees, painting shadows across the floor and walls.

I was supposed to be out of here a week ago, but my arm got too infected. So now I'm back under Hanji's care.

I can't sleep. My mind races.
I climb out of bed, peering out my window. Everything is illuminated by the moon.

I let my eyes follow the treeline, a lone deer feasting on berries catching my attention.

I want to go out there. The grass moves in an unfelt breeze. I can only imagine how nice it feels.

I get up, crossing the room. I turn the knob, slowly sliding the door open. I peer into the hall. It's empty. I tiptoe out and walk along the long corridor. I continue down the stairs and to the exit.

I trail across the walk, the cool cement sending chills up my legs. I cross my arms over my chest.

The breeze blows over me, my gown and hair fluttering back.
I walk carefully, the gravel rocks jutting painfully against my feet.
I reach the grass, and I continue along until I find a nice, soft, discreet spot.

I lie down on my back, peering up at the trees above me. I fold my arms, laying my head over them.

I soon find myself becoming drowsy and my eyelids flutter. Soon I fall into asleep, the sound of the wind blowing through the trees filling my ears.

Levi's Point of View

I find Hanji the next day roaming the halls, calling (Y/n)'s name. I stop her, questioning her on what was wrong.

"I went to check on (Y/n) this morning, but she wasn't in her room. I waited a little while to see if maybe she went to the bathroom, but when she didn't return I checked, and it was empty, too."

"Is she still on the grounds?" I question, my voice expressionless.

"I'm trying to figure that out. Can you help me look around?"

"Sure." I respond. Other recruits are around. I make sure to mask all emotion will my usual bored face. She's probably fine, though. I don't see the deal in rushing to find her.

We look all over, calling her name. We ask anyone if they've seen her and no one says anything.

As our search progresses, I slowly begin to grow worried. Maybe she left, not wanting to join and risk dying. She'd be better off at home. But she signed up for this.

I can't help, but remember my life before the Scouts. When I joined I had to leave people I cared about behind. I really care about her. I don't want to lose her, too.

I don't know why my mind is jumping to conclusions. I just know that I need to find her.

I sprint outside, calling her name loudly. I walk along the path, my voice echoing off the trees and the side of HQ. If she's anywhere nearby, she'd surely hear me.

I peer around, when suddenly I see her head appear behind a bush. Hanji runs up behind me, asking if I've seen anything.

"Just go inside." I say, my eyes on the girl.

"Yes, Captain."

When I know she's gone I walk over, finding (Y/n) on the ground. Her hair is messy, blades of green grass sticking out of it in various places.

"Tch."

She looks up at me, her eyes widening. "Oh, h-hi Captain." Her voice is groggy. Was she... Asleep?

I reach down, grabbing onto her arm. I pull her to her feet. She looks at me with surprise.

I feel angry at her. Her disappearance... Startled me. I got worked up over nothing.

"What are you doing out here?" I demand.

"I was sleeping. Sorry, Captain." She rubs her left eye with the back of her hand.

"Why weren't you inside like any other normal human being?" My voice is harsher than I intend it to be.

"I couldn't sleep so I came out here last night. And I fell asleep in the grass. Did something happen?"

"No, nothing happened." I spit at her.

"Th-then... Why are you so angry?"

"I'm not."

Suddenly she reaches up, her hand resting on my cheek. I freeze. My heart takes off in a series of wild beats.

"You're lying. Your face gets red when you're angry." Her voice is soft, caring. She speaks quietly, just above a whisper.

Her bright (e/c) eyes peer right into mine. And it's as if a fire has been lit to my soul. It feels as if we're the only two people who exist, the world revolving around us at this moment. We stare into each other's eyes, for what feels like an eternity, my heart thumping rapidly.

And suddenly it becomes clear. All the weird, unexplainable feelings, the change of heart...

I think... I think I love her.

I reach up, wrapping my fingers around her hand, holding it in my own.

"Better, now?" She whispers, her voice carried away by the spring breeze.

I compose myself, standing straight, smoothing my face. I peer in her eyes. I can tell... She feels it, too.

"Yes." I say, my voice unintentionally quiet.

I release her hand. She wraps her arms over her chest, her body shaking as she shivers.

"Here." I say, slipping off my cloak, wrapping it around her shoulders. She smiles warmly, holding it closed.

ι ∂σи'т киσω нσω ι fєєℓ αвσυт тнιѕ ¢нαρтєяωнαт ∂σ уσυ gυуѕ тнιик?