Chapter Eleven

"I'm surprised you didn't get caught. You're just digging a hole deeper for yourself without even realizing it."

Mark was pacing around the small living room room area as I was sitting on the couch drinking a water.

I told him everything when I finally got back and he lost his mind. I knew that he was going to freak out but I didn't think it would be this bad.

"Did you blow any identity? Like my name? Our location?"

"Of course not." I explained. "I'm not dumb."

He looks at me as he stops. "But yet you told this woman your real name and gave her your phone number. Then proceeded to let her drive you to the location where you hid the truck that night."

"She didn't ask any questions."

"Yeah, but she's probably a little suspicious on everything that's been going on with you."

That could be true, but she hasn't really said anything about it.

That was one reason why I hate being around her cause she already knows too much and will continue getting information out of me when we're together.

"Look, it's ok now."

"It's ok." He looks at me then chuckles. "You broke into Officer Jack's house. You told me that he had camera's at every corner of the house and the police came and chased you."

I shrugged then held my hands hands. "I'm here. Alive. No cops banging on the door."

"Yet."

"They're not going to find me."

"Officer Jack has been after you for years, Cass. He's going to dig deep until he finds you. He's going to look through that footage of you and come across something that you didn't hide."

I look at him before shaking my head. "I'm a professional. I never leave evidence behind."

"You sound like this is a career honestly." He said. "This isn't a fucking occupation, Cass. It's criminal acts."

"You don't think I know that? Do you not remember that you too did the same shit years ago? But no, you're all big and bad now that you have a job and stopped doing that shit."

I walked past him then to the back room. I was done with this shit for right now.

He's always trying to piss me off and make me look like an idiot.

He has to remember that he was in this boat too.

It was us together, doing this shit and living for it. That's all he cared about and I'd love to bring it back up every chance I get.

But I won't.

Mark walked in the room a few minutes later as I was laying down. I saw him run his hand through his hair before sitting on the end of the bed.

"I'm sorry.. I just.. I keep wanting you to do the right thing but I guess no matter what I say, I just can't make you do something."

"I understand where you're coming from, Mark." He looks at me. "But.. this is my life. I honestly can't stop."

He looks at me a little longer. "You can. You just choose not to. I was in the same boat, Cass. I was right there with you. I know the fun it brings but I also know the consequences."

I looked at the ceiling for a moment until he got up and left. I sigh then laid there, turning over and staring at the clock on the table.

Laying there, I kept thinking about what happened yesterday and couldn't get the thought out of my head.