iii. new faces

CHAPTER THREE

CHAPTER THREE

...

"WHAT?" PERCY QUESTIONED, BROWS knitting together in confusion. What did she mean by this? The hunter exam doesn't start until they reached Zaban City?

"Have you not caught on? The hunter exam started the moment this train crashed. And you, my dear, have passed the first preliminary phase with flying colors." Artemis stated as if it was apparent.

"I-I don't understand. How?"

"Your acts of selflessness are quite inspiring, I must say. You valued everyone else's safety over your own, so focused on it that you didn't even notice you scraped your arm up pretty bad." Sure enough, when the girl looked down at her arm, there was a nasty scrape from when the train suddenly halted. "I'm proud of you, Persephone."

Her last few words caused Percy's body to take a screenshot. No one had ever told her that before. It brought a smile to her face as she nodded and muttered, "thanks."

"Now, that being said, Martin!" Arty shouted abruptly, "Get this train going! To Dolle Harbor, we go, where you will continue your exam. Please get comfortable; we have about an hour or two until we arrive."

Persephone looked out the window for the remainder of the ride, a whistle suddenly blowing as they arrived at what she assumed was Dolle Harbor.

As she stepped off of the train, she noticed how the place was bustling with people. Just across the way were the docks, where various boats were pulling in at the same time. It made her anxious that so many people were running around in such a small area.

"Persephone, dear, I would like to give you a word of advice before you go. You see that big ole' cedar tree there?" Artemis spoke, pointing at a humongous tree at the top of the mountains just above the city. "You're going to want to go there first." Percy figured that an examiner wouldn't lie, anyway, and Arty had a good heart. She could feel it.

"Thanks, Arty!" She glowed at the said woman, waving goodbye and beginning to head for the hills.

Artemis smiled, eyes crinkling as she did so. She made her way to a bigger man with a captain's hat on, standing adjacent to a wooden boat.

"I'll tell ya, the faith I have in this year's examinees is astounding."

"You said it, darlin'." He wrapped an arm around her as he watched a small boy dressed in green trot away from where he and his wife were standing. "You said it."