ix. forget-me-not

CHAPTER NINE ✔️

CHAPTER NINE ✔️

...

AFTER CLEARING THE EXAM'S second phase, they flew through the starry sky toward the site of the third phase. They stood in the open area of the hunter committee air ship, Chairman Netero and the green man called Beans (which Percy found adorable) standing in the front of the party.

"I will now take the opportunity to introduce myself properly to the remaining 42 applicants. I am Netero, the chairman of the selection committee for this year's hunter exam. It's a pleasure to meet all of you." Netero's long, white beard bounced every time he opened his jaw. The short green man next to him, Beans, smiled widely. "I had originally planned to make my appearance during the exam's final phase but, well, seeing as how I'm already here.

"I have to admit, there's nothing I love more than this feeling of tension in the air. So, I think I'll stick around for the remainder of the trip." He laughed. And he was right. The air was thick with tension, so thick that not even Percy's favorite knife could slice through it. Though, she liked to believe it could cut anything. Next to her, Killua's shoulders went slack as he yawned.

"We are schedule to arrive tomorrow morning at 8:00 a.m. exactly. You'll find dinner waiting for you in the dining hall. You're also welcome to get some rest, of course. You're free to do as you please until we contact you. The evening is yours." Beans announced, voice laced with blithe.

Now that he mentioned it, Percy's hand relocated itself on her stomach—albeit there was not much there, if she took her shirt off you'd be able to see her ribs—suddenly remembering it'd been a while since she ate. It would be smart to do so.

But as Killua encouraged, "Let's go and explore the airship!" the thought escaped her mind completely. She grinned at the two boys' energy, racing after them in attempt to match it.

The walls were lined with vertically long tiles, windows decorating the others facing the lit up sky. She made out multiple of her favorite summer constellations. Unlike the origin of the first phase, the airship was in keen condition. She mentally noted to herself how annoying it was that she observed hygiene over indications of casualties.

What kind of wraith was she?

The trio suddenly stopped when Killua turned around and pressed his index finger to his pale lips, a mischievous smirk present on his face. Percy quickly understood his intentions, expression mirroring his. The boy pressed his hand flat against the door, adding gradual force until there was enough room for her and Gon to squeeze through, himself following shortly after.

The red haired girl slid behind a stack of wheat sacks, leading the way for the boys. They'd successfully snuck into the kitchen. Her nimble fingers ran across the paper-like surface as she peaked her face around the corner. Coast was clear.