vi. masters of deception

CHAPTER SIX ✔️

CHAPTER SIX ✔️

...

"CONGRATULATIONS. I WISH WE didn't have to do this more than once, but let us pray you will never come back here." Sister Amelia stood at the door, arms folded. Percy inwardly groaned, tossing her—very light—bag over her shoulder and following the nun to the foyer, coming face to face with a tall, skinny man. His brows were unkempt, his hair was short, and he had grown a long beard. "This is your new father, Hibiki Dysnomia."

He smiled at her, waving. "Let me carry your bag." Hibiki slinked it on, pressing a hand to Percy's lower back. "Let's go, then." She tensed at the touch, walking faster so he'd detach himself from her. She sent a pleading look to her friends behind her, but it went unanswered.

"We are going to have so much fun together."

"I've gotta tell you guys; I'm pretty impressed that you can keep up with me." Killua suddenly said, causing Percy to cock a brow and Gon to laugh. "Or maybe they're all so slow, you both just seem fast. Man, I thought the hunter exam was going to be more of a challenge. This is boring." The girl couldn't agree more with him.

When Perkins spoke of the exam, he claimed it had an abundance of surprises and twists not even he could see coming. Perhaps she was talking too soon, but Percy couldn't see where he was coming from just yet.

"Hey, why do you want to be a hunter, anyway?" Gon inquired.

"Who, me? I never said I wanted to be a hunter." Percy and the boy's reactions were like copies of each other, they were confused as to why someone who didn't desire being a hunter would take the exam. "I just heard the exam was supposed to be really hard. It sounded kind of fun so here I am. But it's not as fun as I thought."

A boy like Killua was as easy to read as an open book, to Percy. He carelessly spoke, reflecting his ego she was sure he would deny having. The gears in her mind were churning, eyes unwavering as they bored into him. He wanted a challenge, and to any normal kid that might be a couple honors classes or a sport—but to him, it was the hunter exam, where people die. It revealed that he must come from a place where expectations are set absurdly high, forcing him to be absurdly tough. The hunter exam was no easy feat. He was so entertaining—so fun to figure out. She couldn't wait to find more.

"What about you?"

"Well, the thing is, my dad's a hunter. So, I decided I was going to be a hunter like him, no matter what." Gon explained. She sucked up any new information she could, writing it down mentally. He went more in depth, explaining how he only knows what his aunt—Mito, they found out—told him. He had no idea who his father was, but that didn't stop him from wanting to be identical.