xiii. wagers

CHAPTER THIRTEEN

CHAPTER THIRTEEN

...

"TIME?" LEORIO ASKED, SHOCKED.

"Gambling it. Betting time instead of chips. We bet until one of our clocks," she gestures to a monitor on the wall. "reaches zero."

"Alright. I accept your damn challenge." He pointed a finger at her. Throughout the bickering between the boys, Percy couldn't help but notice a sly smirk making way to Tonpa's face.

The rookie crusher.

She knew what he was playing at. Yet with Leorio's hot head and unpredictability, he was getting exactly what he wanted.

"Okay. I made the first bet, so you can choose the ante. Decide how many hours we'll wager on whether he's alive or dead." She proposed. Steam escaped the small girl's ears. Persephone continuously told them that he was alive, so they best not get this wrong.

"I bet ten hours he's alive." The tall man spoke confidently. Leorio walked to the middle island, kneeling. He placed two fingers to the blue-skinned man's pulse. "It seems he's only unconscious."

"This is bad," Killua observed, tucking his hands behind his head. "Maybe he won't wake up, no matter how long we wait."

Kurapika chimed, "I don't understand."

"Don't you remember? When she walked by the guy on the floor? I was pretty sure he was already dead by then. But when I thought about it, I realized he's more useful to his team alive. As long as he stays unconscious. See, if he doesn't wake up before the time runs out, their sentences will be shortened by 72 years."

"So if he doesn't wake up at all, then that means we-"

"That's my point." Killua snapped.

"Percy, you've been quiet." Gon looked to her. She mentally jumped a bit. Looking over at him, then back at the asleep man, her brows pinched together.

"Well... what if he's awake?" She inquired. "Leorio's a doctor, right? So, if anything, I think we're already at an advantage." The boys all nodded slowly, taking her words to thought.

Turning her attention back to the debate, the prisoner said, "Okay, it's your turn. What would you like to bet on next?"

"Let me see. I say we bet on whether or not he's actually unconscious." A knowing smile rose to Percy's face. Killua shook his head angrily.