v. the knowledge addict

CHAPTER FIVE ✔️

CHAPTER FIVE ✔️

...

"OH! I ALMOST FORGOT!" Tonpa was abruptly digging through his bag, and Percy was ready to send a knife through his brain if he tried anything humorous. Her breath caught in her throat, but the feeling quickly cleared out as he only sported cans of juice in his hands. "Let's have a toast to friendship. Whaddya say?"

If she was smarter than to believe a word rolling off his tongue, there was no way in hell she'd accept a drink from him. He held out a can.

"No, thank you." She forced a smile, disappointed to see the other boys overjoyed to relieve the thirst they were enduring.

"Oh, come on! You're hurting my feelings!" Tonpa urged, and Percy was suddenly a lot more uncomfortable than she was before.

"I don't care about your feelings. No means no." She spoke firmly this time and hoped her smile was as passive-aggressive as she intended. Kurapika studied her closely, fascinated by her sternness. He could smell secrets anywhere, and Percy seemed to reek of them. She'd first piqued his interest when she refused to shake Gon's hand back in Dolle Harbor. Then it was the way he noticed her eyes scan every foreign location and the way she'd sharply inhale whenever she was uncomfortable.

And suddenly, the juice was spewing from Gon's mouth as he apologized and explained that the fluid must've gone spoiled. That was all it took for Leorio to spit it from his mouth and complain.

"Please forgive me!" The brunette slapped his hands together and hung his head low. It was clear to the girl that he was in no way sorry. "I had no idea the juice was bad!"

"It's all right; no need to apologize. What about you? Is your stomach okay?" Percy concluded that Gon was too kind for his good.

"I'm all right. I'm totally fine."

"Oh, good. I've tried all kinds of plants and grasses on the mountain back home, so I can usually taste when something's bad." The teen boy explained. Percy mentally noted this new information in case it'd be helpful in the future while also facepalming.

Or you could just not accept drinks from strangers who are likely to screw you over!

She thought distastefully. The boy was either spectacular at acting oblivious and naive, or he actually was just that. Ignorant and trusting and innocent, like the girl once was herself. She would do what she does best to solve this puzzle—waiting and observing.

"Sorry, again. I'll see you boys around!" Tonpa waves and turned on his heels. Percy could tell by the way sweat sailed his skin that her suspicions were correct; he did, indeed, have something up his sleeve, and Gon's incredible sensory skills may have saved the other two of their first exam failure.