My Story

Tw: slight anxiety, mentions of violence, mentions of abuse

I find myself on the seventh floor. I start wandering around, trying to calm myself down. I can see people all around me, pointing and whispering. I guess word travels pretty fast around this place. I don't really mind the whispering though, it's pretty normal for me. Back at Hydra, I couldn't step into a single room without having everyone turn and start whispering about me. I mean I was their prized possession. I'm one of the deadliest people in the country, if not the world, and I'm the youngest super soldier ever. Everyone else to receive the serum has been eighteen or older. I was nine.

I've always been different. I mean I'm special in that I have "super powers." Calling them that sounds stupid though. It sounds like I can actually control them. Honestly though, I'd take a dagger as my weapon over my powers any day. I have good control over a dagger, whereas I can't control my powers, or at least not alone. Zemo was able to figure out a way to use pain to train me into using my powers in certain ways.

I hate Zemo. I hate all of Hydra, but Zemo was the worst. He scared me, unlike anyone else. He would do this thing to cue that they were about to torture me, figuring out how my powers work as they went along. Zemo would come up to me, rub his hand across my face, and call me his "little butterfly," only he would say it in russian. He said he called me his butterfly, because I joined Hydra as a very interesting little girl, but then thanks to the serum, I transformed into a strong soldier. He said my transformation was similar to that of a caterpillar to a butterfly. I think that's just about the stupidest thing I've ever heard. I think in reality, he called me his butterfly, because like a butterfly he wanted me to feel no pain or emotion. No matter what the reason was, even thinking about it now makes my hair stand on end. Zemo was the one person at Hydra who would continuously scare me. He... He was the only one who could get me to fight. Almost anyone could say James' trigger words and turn him into The Winter Soldier, but only Zemo could trigger me.

I'm so lost in my thoughts that I don't even notice James calling me. "Y/n!" I turn around to see James, down at the end of the hall, running towards me. I could stop and wait for him to catch up, but instead I just keep walking, knowing he'll catch up if he wants to.

Within the next few seconds, James has caught up and is walking next to me. Neither of us say anything, we just walk in silence. "Are you okay?"

I nod and just keep walking forward, looking at the ground. I know I'm not okay, but I'm still mad at him, so I don't intend to tell him anymore at the moment. Unfortunately, for all the staring at the ground I'm doing, I don't notice the crack in the floor, and I end up tripping over it. I fall flat on my face and just lay there. I didn't realize it before, but I guess I'm kinda sore. It's probably from fighting off fifty of Hydra's strongest soldiers yesterday.

"Y/n? Are you okay?" Instead of sounding worried, James just sounds confused. It makes sense, I mean I'm a super soldier, a little trip wouldn't hurt me. I roll over on my back and see James bending down looking at me. He reaches down his hand, offering to help me up. I take his hand and I'm very quickly on my feet. Still, the impact from falling reminded me that I've got cuts and bruises all over that I should probably take care of.

"Hey James, do you guys have a first aid kit anywhere? I'm a little beaten from escaping. I should probably put on some band-aids and stuff..." He looks at me and furrows his eyebrows, worry shining through his eyes. Any anger that was there a few minutes ago is gone now.

"Y/n why didn't you say anything sooner? Here come on. I can take you over to the med wing." Right. Of course there's a med wing here. Duh. I nod my head and we start walking over to the elevator.

We get over to the elevator and as we're waiting, I notice I'm still holding James' hand from when he helped me up. I go to pull my hand away, but James holds my hand tight. "Umm... James? Could you maybe let go of my hand?"

James quickly lets go of my hand and we get onto the arriving elevator. I didn't mind holding James' hand. I just don't exactly have the best track record with holding people's hands. Usually, if someone is holding my hand, they're dragging me off to see Zemo. I know that's not what James was doing, but it still freaked me out a little. I hear the elevator ding and am pulled away from my thoughts as I step out onto a floor very unlike the rest I've seen. It's not as busy, with only a few people here and there. This floor seems to be a lot cleaner as well. I guess it has to be if they're doing medical stuff here. I realize that there are doctors wearing white lab coats and I freeze.

I suddenly don't want to be here. I realize that in coming to this floor, I am allowing doctors to make sure I'm okay. I know for most people that would be a good thing, possibly even a comforting thought, but for me it's not. For me, it just brings memories of Hydra flooding back into my brain. White lab coats are not exactly a good sign for me.

I start to walk backwards, hoping I can get to the elevator without anyone realizing I was ever here. I take two steps back, but the I bump into a strong figure. I jump and turn around really fast, afraid of who might be behind me. Before I can even get a good look at him, James pulls me into a hug.

"Y/n. You're okay. These people are here to help you. I promise." I pull away from the hug and look him right in the eyes. Today, I've seen his eyes full of anger, confusion, and worry. Right now though, they're full of honesty. I take a shaky breath and I nod my head.

"Yeah... I know..." I turn around and start to walk down the hall, towards what seems to be a check-in area. I can feel James' presence as he walks behind me. We get over to a desk and wait until someone comes over to help. They hand over a whole bunch of paperwork to fill out, which James offers to do, but I turn him down, telling him I got it.