The Plan

Tw: violence, weapons, kinda badly written fight scene

I sat outside all night last night, knowing that I wouldn't be able to fall asleep even if I tried. I mostly just sat on the railing, looking at the moon. This morning, Nico came and got me. He brought me to go talk to Karli and she explained the plan to stop the GRC vote. Basically all I have to do is throw a smoke bomb like thing into the meeting room. From there all the council members will be brought out to evacuate, but different Flag Smashers will be driving the getaway cars. They'll bring them somewhere where Karli will talk to them and convince them not to vote. It's not the soundest plan, but I know that Karli also purposely didn't give me all the details. I don't think everyone completely trusts me yet. That's okay though cause I probably wouldn't trust me either.

The vote is happening in half an hour. Right now, we're waiting in various places around the building waiting until we're giving the signal.

I'm not really worried about how this is going to go down. Karli organized it and she knows what she's doing. The only thing I am worried about is that chances are Sam and James are gonna show up. I'm not even worried about them ruining the plan, I'm more worried about having to see them. There's no way either of them are very happy with me. I left them to join the people they're fighting against. I would be mad if the roles were reversed.

"You guys ready?" Somebody next to me asks. I nod my head and sneak into the other room. I have to wait here until I see an opportunity to get into the main meeting room. The doors are all locked so I have to wait until somebody with a key goes in, or until somebody leaves.

Luckily, I don't have to wait long until a distressed woman comes out of the room, talking on a bluetooth earpiece. I quickly catch the door before it closes and step inside. I make eye contact with the other Flag Smasher across the room. He nods and I throw my smoke bomb-like device into position. Then, I quickly get out of there. I hear a beeping noise and then people start flowing out of the doors. My job now is to blend in and get out of here.

I make a beeline for the doors, hoping nobody will notice me. I go to grab the door handle, but it turns right before I can. I quickly turn and start to run away, not wanting to get caught.

"Y/n?" I freeze. It's James. I turn around and look at him. "Y/n why are you doing this?"

"James you have to give me the chance to fight for what I believe in." I go to walk away, but I can hear him coming up to me, so I stop where I am.

"I know y/n. I gave you that chance, but now we're on different sides of the fight and I have to stop you." He grabs my wrist. Oh hell no! I turn around and land a solid roundhouse kick in his face. He's so surprised by this that he let's go of my wrist. I take off running in the opposite direction of him. I expect him to follow me, but once I finally get outside, I know he must have moved on to trying to stop Karli.

I have to get over to where they're holding the trucks of people. Either James or Sam will be over there any minute and I'm sure the Flag Smashers could use another hand. I start running over to the trucks but then I watch as one of them goes up in flames. I dart my eyes around, trying to find Karli. She's there, but she's not trying to put out the fire, she's walking away like nothing happened.

"Karli! What's going on?" Karli shrugs.

"We needed to distract Bucky so that we could get away. Come on." I look at her with wide eyes. She set the truck full of people on fire? As a distraction? I look back over at the truck and see James struggling to break the lock open and free the people.

"Yea no. I'm good Karli. See you later." I jog over to Karli and go over to James. "Hey you need some help?"

James scoffs as he continues to struggle with the lock. "Now you wanna help?" He punches the lock and it cracks open. He quickly opens the doors and helps everyone get out.

He starts walking away, looking around for where Karli went. "She went that way." I point towards the alley Karli had gone down just a moment ago. James turns and runs down the alley. I follow close behind.

I get that Karli needed to make a statement, but setting a truck on fire wasn't part of the plan. I understand that sometimes violence is needed, but I honestly don't believe that this was one of those times. Maybe if she had been trying to fight off James, but instead she just set innocent people on fire. I stop suddenly, realizing that even though Karli is fighting for community and a sense of family, she's willing to cut anybody out of her equation if they get in her way.

"Y/n you coming?" I look up and realize that Sam is here now too. I nod my head and we all head down the alley until we get to a fork. "We should split up."

James immediately dashes down to the left and so Sam and I take the right. We're running, but slow down when we see Karli. She's standing, and in front of her is a blonde haired woman I don't recognize. They're locked in one of those things you see in movies, where the two people with guns move around each other in circles, afraid to make the first shot.

I stub my toe on something as I'm walking. It hurts like hell but I don't say anything. Unfortunately, whatever it is that I kicked makes a loud clanging noise. This must have scared the blonde haired lady, because suddenly she fires her gun, hitting Karli. I jump from the noise of the gun firing and all of a sudden, everything feels like it's moving very slowly. I haven't heard a gunshot since I escaped Hydra. I freeze, not knowing how to react. Out of the corner of my eye, I see Sam run over to Karli. He picks her up and holds her. They're talking. I walk over to them. Karli smiles at me. Her eyes close. Sam flies away.

Suddenly I feel as though I'm pulled back to reality as I realize what just happened. I turn to the blonde haired lady. "You killed her!" I point my finger at her and step closer to her. She's still holding the gun up.

"Y/n, Bucky told me not to hurt you, but if you try anything I won't be afraid to fire this." She motions to the gun which is now pointed at me. I stop walking and I bring my hand down.

"You killed her." This time, I say it under my breath. I turn and look at the blonde haired lady again, before running out to find Sam.

I get over to where Sam and James are. There are police cars and ambulances swarming the area. I'm standing across the street from James. Sam is giving some sort of speech. I'm sure it's very inspiring, but right now my head is spinning. James looks up and makes eye contact with me. I feel tears burn at my eyes. I quickly turn and head away from the crowd of people, it's all too overwhelming right now.

"Y/n! Y/n wait up!" I turn around and see James. When I see him, I feel tears start pouring down my face. He comes over to me, wrapping me in a hug. "You okay?"

My brain is screaming at me to say yes, but instead I just shake my head no. James stands there with me for a while, just holding me while I cry.