He Can't Go Alone

I'm sitting on a plane next to James. He's talking with Sam about something, but I'm too lost in my thoughts to listen to what they're talking about. I can't believe we're on a plane headed to Germany to visit a prison to talk to Zemo. I mean I'm not going to talk to him, but I'm still going to be a whole lot closer to him than I want to be. I'm going to be just outside the prison that's holding Zemo.

"Y/n and I will just wait outside." I hear James say my name and look over at him to try to figure out what they're talking about.

"I can't go talk to him myself. You heard y/n, he's not gonna tell me anything." Okay. Seems like they're just going over the plan.

"So what do you suppose we do Sam? I'm not going to leave y/n by herself there and you're saying you can't go in by yourself." James says, annoyance filling his voice.

"You're right. Which means, you need to talk to him." James scoffs and stands up.

"I am not going to go in there and talk to him!" James exclaims pointing his finger in Sam's face. James doesn't want to be here in the first place. Sam and I had to convince him to even get on the plane. James hates Zemo almost as much as me, only he was actually able to use his anger to protect me, I just kept my anger inside and let it eat away at me.

"James..." He turns to me and I watch as his eyes turn from ones filled with anger to ones filled with care and worry. "James you're the only one that can talk to him. I know better than anyone that it's not fair and it's not gonna be easy, but you're the only one that can. If I try, Zemo will do anything to trigger me. And if Sam tries, then this whole mission will be for nothing."

James looks down at the floor and runs his hand through his hair. He knows I'm right. He's the only one that can talk to Zemo. "Seriously?" James looks between me and Sam with disbelief in his eyes.

"Yeah." I respond. "We only get one chance at this and you're the only one who can make sure we don't fail."