I'm Leaving

Tw: mentions of violence

I stand outside the door again and I take a shaky breath. Beside me, James is fidgeting with his hands.

"Are you sure you want to do this? You don't have to." He says, regretting bringing me here.

I nod my head. "Yeah... I need to do this."

With that I reach for the door handle and step inside.

"My little butterfly. What brings you here?" Zemo asks. This time I don't look down at the ground. I look right at him.

"You can't control me anymore. I'm getting stronger." I say, looking him in the eyes and walking closer to him.

"You're right. You are getting stronger, but you're also getting more powerful. Sooner or later, you're not going to know how to control yourself. And then you'll come back to me for help." He says with a smirk.

He's trying to psych me out, but it's not going to work this time. "I came here to tell you that I'm done. I'm done being your stupid little butterfly. I'm done running your dirty errands. I'm done."

I see his smile falter for a second. He's surprised that I'm standing up to him. I haven't done that in a long time.

"You wouldn't be so confident if I were out there." I close my eyes. He's right. If he weren't inside a cell, I wouldn't be able to stand up to him.

"But you aren't out here. You're in there. And by the time you're out of there, I'll be better than ever before. I'll be able to fight for myself." He looks down at the floor.

"Very well..." He says. "But know this butterfly, I've trained you in a way that you'll never be able to break from. You will always be the same useless murderer as you were under my watch."

I take a step back. "I'm not useless." I say, through gritted teeth.

"Whatever you say butterfly." He's still looking down at the floor.

I clench my fists together, ready to punch the guy. I mean I know logically I would have to break the cell first, but I can do it. I will. I'm going to beat the crap out of him. He's the whole reason I'm messed up like this in the first place. I take a few steps forward, trying to figure out how to open the cell.

I think I could- I feel a hand on my shoulder. I whip my head around and see James. "He's not worth it y/n."

I look into his eyes and nod my head. James is right. This is exactly what Zemo wants. I feel tears burning at my eyes, but I do my best to hold them in.

"I'm leaving Zemo. I'm leaving and I'm never coming back." I walk towards the door, James following right behind me.

We get outside and I sigh. "Good job, y/n."

I turn around and look at James. I feel tears start pouring down my face as he pulls me into a hug.

"I did it James. I stood up to him." I whisper and I realize that at this exact moment, I feel happier than I have in years. I feel okay and that's enough.