A Problem

Tw: Sam and Bucky fighting...

James didn't get any information from Zemo. Figures. I'm sitting in the hotel room we're staying at tonight. James and Sam are in the other room arguing about something. I'm just sitting here, playing with the hem of my shirt, and trying to hear what it is that has had the two of them at each other for almost an hour now.

"I'm not going to do that to them Sam!" I know James is talking about me, but I'm not sure why.

"We need this information Bucky!" Information? What does that have to do with me?

"I don't care! We have to figure out a different way!" James is protecting me from something, I'm just not quite sure what, but if I had to take a wild guess, I'd say that it probably has to do with Zemo.

"It's the only way Bucky! I get that you want to protect her, but he's not gonna tell us anything unless he can talk to them first!" I hear the room go silent and then James storms out only stopping to grab my hand.

He pulls me out of the room and away from Sam. Sam follows right behind though and yells out into the hallway. "Where are you going?!" It sounds more like a demand than a question.

"I am protecting them from you!" James says pointing a finger at Sam. He takes a step to the right, making sure that he's positioned right between me and Sam.

"Protecting them from me? Seriously Bucky?! I'm not trying to hurt them!" James takes a step towards Sam, letting go of my hand.

"You just want to hand her over to Zemo! I'm not about to stand by and let you do that!" James is pissed. I know he is. I don't know what to do. If I hadn't convinced James that we should come on this mission and help Sam, then we wouldn't even be in this situation.

"That is not what I'm trying to do!" Sam yells back at Bucky. "Zemo just wants to talk to them! That's it! If they just go and talk to him, then he gives us whatever information he has!"

"He wants to talk to me?" My voice is quieter than theirs and I'm worried that they're not going to hear me, but when I start talking both of them look over at me, obviously shocked that I even started talking in the first place. "Why does he want to talk to me?" The thought of having to talk to Zemo makes me feel sick.

"It doesn't matter y/n. You don't have to talk to him anyways." James looks at me, searching my face for any sign that I'm alright.

"He wants to talk to you because you're his butterfly or something." James turns around and looks at Sam.

"Shut the hell up Sam. They're not going to talk to him, so it doesn't matter what his reasons are." James isn't yelling anymore, but his words are still full of the same anger as a minute ago.

"He doesn't want to talk to me because I'm his little butterfly. He wants to talk to me, because he knows that I don't want to talk to him." Maybe if I go in to talk to him, I can stand up to him. I mean it's worth a shot.

"See Sam. They don't want to talk to him and we're not going to force them to." I know James isn't going to be happy with me if I decide to talk to Zemo. I also know that he'll be on my side, whether he's happy about it or not.

"I'll talk to him." My voice is quiet and I'm not sure agreeing to this is the right thing to do, but Sam needs this information from Zemo, so I hope I'm making the right choice.

"What?" James looks over at me, his face full of regret. He didn't want me to know what he talked to Zemo about today, but now that I do he's sorry about it. "Y/n, you don't have to do this."

I look up into James' eyes, before looking back down at the floor. "Will... you come with... to... to make sure he doesn't try to trigger me?" I can barely even talk as fear takes over my thoughts.

James comes over to me and hugs me. "Of course I will y/n. I'm not going to let him hurt you. I promise." I can hear pain seeping through his voice.

Sam leaves and goes back into the other room. James and I just stand in the hallway. I feel James start shaking and I imagine he's crying. He doesn't like to see me in pain, he never has.