Mission Aborted

"Morning, Sunshine ..." Seo Dae Young who just came out of the room, immediately approached Yoon Myung Joo who was busy stirring chicken porridge for their breakfast. He bent down and kissed his wife's big belly.

"Morning, Daddy," Myung Joo replied in a childish voice.

"Are you hungry, Sunshine? Why did Mommy take so long to make the porridge?"

"Sunshine isn't hungry because she drank milk, her dad must be hungry, right?"

"Yeah, hehehe," Dae Young smirked, Myung Joo pinched her husband's cheek in exasperation.

Myung Joo tapped the wooden spoon against the rim of the pot so that the remaining porridge in the spoon returned to the pot, then turned off the stove.

"Breakfast is ready..."

Dae Young swiftly lifted the pot of porridge onto the dining table, before Myung Joo did. He also scooped the porridge into Myung Joo's bowl, then sprinkled the shredded chicken so much that it swelled up.

"Hey, this is too much!!!" Myung Joo protested, returning the shredded chicken to the plate.

"Sunshine should eat a lot."

"I can add more later along with the porridge."

Dae Young nodded in understanding. They ate in silence, as if the joy just now had evaporated along with the hot steam from the porridge they had blown before eating it.

"Why?" Myung Joo asked.

"Hmm?" Dae Young raised his eyebrows.

"You took deep breaths many times, even though I was the one who felt breathless because my belly was starting to squeeze my lungs."

Dae Young just smiled faintly, "I'm sorry."

"What's the use of apologizing? If I forbid you to go, won't you go? I'm also a soldier, I know very well that we can't refuse the call of duty of the state. If you feel so guilty about leaving me in heavy pregnant, then to make up for your guilt, you must return home safely."

Dae Young nods, "I promise."

"If you die, I will kill you."

Dae Young pretends to cough to cover up his desire to laugh at his wife's ridiculous sentence, how to kill a dead person?

"I will not die."

"I do not believe."

"What should I do to make you believe?"

"Prove it to me, come back safely."

~~~

The sound of Sunshine's heartbeat echoed in Doctor Yang Seok Hyung's room. The ultrasound screen displays a 4D image of the head and back of the baby girls Seo Dae Young and Yoon Myung Joo. The position of the baby's head, which was breech at last month's examination, is now in the lower part of the uterus and is starting to descend into the birth canal, ready to be delivered vaginally if there are no other obstacles. Doctor Yang estimates that Sunshine will be born in about a week, but does not rule out the possibility that she will be born earlier or later than her due date. Myung Joo only needs to go to the hospital immediately when she starts to feel the signs of giving birth.

Coming out of the obgyn poly, Myung Joo sits in the waiting room in front of the pharmacy to buy vitamins. While waiting, she checked her cellphone, which sounded a notification, but then she threw it back into her bag, because the only message that came in was spam online loan offers.

Dae Young should have returned today, but Myung Joo received message from Yoo Shi Jin that their return was delayed until tomorrow. All she needed to do was wait one more day to see her husband again, but Myung Joo couldn't hold back her longing anymore. She had been tormented in the longing space for a whole month, and she didn't want to add another second. After all, today is a special day, because it's their 2nd wedding anniversary.

Last year they celebrated their anniversary together in Afghanistan. Three months after the first anniversary, Myung Joo became pregnant and she was 'forced' sent back to Korea. Myung Joo actually wants to stay with her husband wherever he is on duty, but Myung Joo's parents and Dae Young forbid it. Being in a conflict area is very dangerous. Luckily, two months after Myung Joo came home, Dae Young also returned. But last month Dae Young was sent to Urk.

"Yoon Myung Joo..."

Myung Joo, who had just taken vitamins, turned to the woman who called out to her.

"Hi, Kang Mo Yeon."

"Alone?"

"Do you still have to ask? You're alone too, anyway."

Mo Yeon took a deep breath, "I thought that after Shi Jin was promoted to Major, he would rarely go to the 'mall', but it turned out to be the same."

"Even my dad still goes to the 'mall' sometimes."

"You come from an army family, you're also an army doctor, so you must be used to being left behind by Sergeant Major Seo."

"Who said? I'm also a woman. I also want to be like other women, who welcome their husbands home from work every day. I want him to always be by my side, especially in my current condition, I really need him."

Mo Yeon patted Myung Joo's shoulder, "glad to have a comrade in arms."

They chuckled together.

"Oh yeah, isn't today your wedding anniversary?"

Myung Joo chuckles irritated that Mo Yeon brought it up.

"How about we just have dinner together? You don't want to be alone today, do you?" Asked Mo Yeon.

"Call."

"I'll finish my work first. Wait for me in the cafeteria."

~~~

While waiting, Myung Joo bought iced green tea and sat in the cafeteria reading parenting books. A woman passed by Myung Joo's table, accidentally the big bag she was carrying nudged Myung Joo's green tea glass until it rolled on the table and the contents spilled onto Myung Joo's clothes.

"Ouch, sorry, sorry," the woman said as she cleaned up the mess she had made.

"Careful, please!" Myung Joo was annoyed.

"I'm sorry, ma'am, I'll pay for your drinks and laundry," the woman prepared to open her purse.

"Never mind, no need. Next time just be careful."

Myung Joo goes to the toilet to clean up the spilled tea on her blouse and leggings.

"Aish.... the stain won't go away. I'm so unlucky today," she grumbled annoyed.

She wants to contact Mo Yeon to cancel their plans. She just wanted to go home. But Mo Yeon had already appeared.

"Oh, I was just about to call you."

Mo Yeon gasped while pointing at Myung Joo's wet leggings.

"There are people who are not careful when walking, spilling my drink on my clothes. I just want to go home, can you please drive me?"

Mo Yeon shook her head and stammered, "it's not... um... that..."

"Is it that bad?"

"Yoon Myung Joo, I think your waters broke..."

Myung Joo laughed, "No, I told you I spilled--"

Myung Joo suddenly felt pain in the lower abdomen, "ouch..."

She looked down, watching her wet maternity leggings get soggy that the liquid dripped onto the floor.

"Kang... Kang Mo Yeon... I... I..."

Mo Yeon immediately led Myung Joo to sit on a nearby chair, then told a passing nurse to get her a gurney or wheelchair.

"Kang Mo Yeon, our Sunshine will be born... How is it? Seo Dae Young... Please call Shi Jin Sunbae, send Seo Dae Young here, NOW!!!"

"Okay, okay, Yoo Shi Jin will throw him here right now. Now calm down and catch your breath."

When Myung Joo is ushered into the delivery room in a wheelchair, Mo Yeon calls someone.

"Mission aborted. Yoon Myung Joo is giving birth!"

.
.
.

Baby Sunshine is coming soon~~