A Big Storm

Boom!!!

The bomb blew up the South Korean ambassador's office in one of the conflict-ridden African countries. From a distance, Shi Jin turned his head for a moment, before he climbed into the helicopter with the African boy in his arms. Inside, the Ambassador comforted his wife and children who were crying, scared but also relieved that they had been helped. The helicopter took them all to another country not far from the conflicted country.

•••

The helicopter landed slowly on the runway.

Deja vu.

Several years ago General Yoon also stood at the same place, receiving reports of the deaths of Yoo Shi Jin and Seo Dae Young, without bodies. Deep down, he hopes that Seo Dae Young's body will never be found again, so that one day he will reappear before his family, like before. But unfortunately, that hope was dashed when the soldiers carried a chest, contained the body of Seo Dae Young.

General Yoon clenched his two trembling hands. He tried to contain his feelings for the sake of authority. But the tears could not be held back. It slid and blended into the snow pile. General Yoon just realized how much he loves his son-in-law.

~~~

After hearing the news of her husband's death, Myung Joo is still in denial. She doesn't want to believe the news until she sees Dae Young's body for herself. She had been 'pranked' several years ago, when she was told that Seo Dae Young was killed by a bomb with Yoo Shi Jin and his body was not found. But a year later, Dae Young returns with a snowfall that only falls once every 100 years in Urk.

Snowflakes fall on Myung Joo's head. She held out her hand hoping for a miracle to happen.

And Seo Dae Young came home.

His body.

Lifeless.

~~~

"I will never die again... I will never die..."

Seo Dae Young made that promise. A ridiculous promise that of course Myung Joo doesn't believe. Every human being will die. Moreover, Dae Young is a soldier who often comes into contact with death.

Ever since she had decided to love and marry a soldier, she had been prepared mentally and physically in case death would come to one of them before they grew old together. However, when death has come, Myung Joo can't let Dae Young go.

Myung Joo once arrogantly told Mo Yeon that she wasn't afraid to risk Dae Young's dangerous and death-defying job, as long as she could be with him. And now she devoured by her own words.

Myung Joo fainted three times because she couldn't hold back the sadness of losing half of her heart. She had to have an IV during Dae Young's funeral. Mo Yeon supports her who insists on going to the tomb.

Rifles were fired into the air as a sign of respect. Ki Beom, who was considered like a younger brother by Dae Young, was holding his brother's photo frame. He didn't stop crying. He feels guilty that he can't protect Dae Young.

When the coffin is lowered into the grave, Myung Joo falls limply. Luckily Mo Yeon was always by her side, supporting her. Myung Joo feels that her soul is also buried with Dae Young. Her body returning home was like an empty shell. She doesn't want to eat, drink or do anything. She even seemed to forget that she had a baby who needed her. She continued to sleep and didn't want to wake up anymore.

~~~

"How long are you going to be like that?" Reprimand General Yoon.

After the funeral was over, Myung Joo's family left her still grieving. Her mother takes over Sunny's care for a while until Myung Joo feels better. But it's been almost a week, Myung Joo hasn't recovered from her sadness. She will never recover.