Chapter 2

Haku Bushido smoked his cigar thoughtfully, twirling it around in his mouth the same way a child would twirl a lollipop.

Being the leader of a Yakuza clan, he kept his connections close. He believed in the idea of family, but ironically, he left his real family behind. But not the Yakuza. The Yakuza was a community he knew he could trust. He was a good man in a bad business, but it never tainted his morals.

Which is why he was very suspicious when he was informed that stranger wanted to talk with him.

"The man says it is urgent." One of his fellow Yakuza members, Jiro, said. "He says a rescheduling is completely out of the question."

Haku's face was illuminated with a single orange lightbulb that was hung from the roof, making his desk the only visible thing in the room. Haku thought about this stranger's demand, tapping his fingers on the mahogany surface of his desk. Finally, he looked up.

"Bring him in."

Jiro nodded and opened the door. Beyond it stood a tall man with a black suit and white hat. His hair was curly, but in a neat way, and his suit was tailored to fit his body perfectly.

"Go ahead, take a seat." Haku said. The man quietly nodded and sat on the chair.

"So you're Haku Bushido." The man said. "The great Oyabun of the biggest Yakuza clan in the country. The supposed 'right hand man' of the emperor, I presume."

Haku chuckled. It was odd for a newcomer to know so much about him, but he decided to give him the benefit of the doubt. "You flatter me, mister..."

"Muzan." He said. "Muzan Kibutsuji."

"Ah, I see." Haku said. "You seem quite educated in our history, despite never setting foot in this city."

Muzan smiled. "And I reckon you know that because of your extensive library of Tokyo's private information?"

Haku arched his eyebrows, surprised that a foreigner like him knew one of the clan's many well-guarded secrets. "That's... oddly correct."

Muzan clapped his hands and smiled. "That's exactly why I'm here!"

"What do you mean?" Haku asked.

Muzan kicked up his feet and laid them on the table. Haku was angered by this, of course, but decided to keep his cool and let it be.

"What I mean is I need access to the profile of every citizen in Tokyo. Their names, their birthdates, everyone that has ever entered the city."

Haku paused for a moment, then looked back at Muzan, visibly confused. "You're not serious, are you?"

"Why, that's only the first request I have for you, sir." Muzan said. "I also need service from your transportation, your manpower, and most importantly, I need you to plan an appointment. With the emperor."

"O-okay, just hold on a second, you're speaking a bit too fast..." Haku said, even more confused. "You want me to offer you transportation, manpower, private information, AND a meeting with the emperor?"

"Why, yes." Muzan confirmed, not a hint of sarcasm in his voice. "I know you have the information, as you Yakuzas use it for your own endeavors, and occasionally to blackmail. I also know that you have complete control over the city and it's police, as your ties with the emperor are your biggest strength. That's why I came here."

Haku shook his head. "That I cannot do."

Muzan frowned at this. "I will have you know that I am ready and willing to pay you as much money as you would like. Not just that, but services, favors, anything, really. I'm giving you an offer you can't refuse."