Chapter 40 (Finale)

Giyuu felt his soul scream, though no sound came from his lips.

Inosuke hung there, struggling and squirming. The tentacle's talon end had punctured his back all the way through to his chest, blood dripping from it's exit wound.

Inosuke finally cried out in pain, releasing a labored scream he had tried to hold. It was raspy and desperate in its texture, a hint of frustration hidden beneath it's gut-wrenching surface.

Muzan still didn't put him down.

"Let him go..." Giyuu found himself pleading. "Please... let him go..."

But as he glanced at Muzan's regenerated face, he saw nothing but pure craze. The demon king's nerves were popping out of his skin, his eyes nearly popping out of his skull. He was staring at Inosuke, watching in pleasure as the poor boy squirmed in pain.

Giyuu's blood began to boil.

"I said LET HIM GO!" Giyuu yelled. "Look at him! He's suffering up there!"

Muzan did not let go.

"Don't make me come up there and-" Giyuu said, only to wince as he stripped back down to the grass. His body was weak and starved of blood.

I'm a weakling...  Giyuu thought.

"I'm going to kill you, you hear me?!" Giyuu declared, despite pathetically crawling through the grass like a slug. "I'm gonna kill you if you don't put him down!"

He heard Shinobu begin to sob behind him. Her hopeless, ugly gasps and quiet wails made his chest sink, which only motivated him further. He got back up on his feet, trudging towards Muzan.

"Let him go..." Giyuu said, this time with a bit of fear in his wavering voice. "Let Inosuke down..."

The sound of Inosuke's wincing and Shinobu's sobbing echoed in his ears.

"Please..." Giyuu said, starting to get desperate. "Let him go..."

He then fell to his knees, back slumped like a beggar. Finally, Muzan decided to turn his head and look at him. There was an intense grin on his face.

"Damn me..." Giyuu whispered to himself, sobbing in between breaths. "Damn me, I'm a failure... I'm an absolute failure..."

He heard a loud thwack hit the grass beside him.

Giyuu cracked his eyes open, blurred from tears. He saw Inosuke lying not far to his left, a massive red puncture wound leaking blood. His chest rose sharply as he tried to breathe, and he clenched his fist on every breath.

He was dying.

He didn't even see Shinobu run up to them. She landed on the grass, immediately taking off her haori and applying pressure on the wound, trying to stop the blood. However, he could tell from the look in her eyes that even she knew it was hopeless.

"Giyuu, help me out here!" Shinobu said in a pleading voice. Giyuu crawled up to them, holding the haori down. He only then noticed that Shinobu wheezed as she breathed.

"Oh kami, oh kami..." she muttered as she navigated her shuddering hands around, whipping out tools from her pouch. She tried bandaging the wound. That wouldn't work, it was nearly a handspan wide, and she only had an arm's length of cloth left. She patted the ground with her hands, trying to find her injections. All empty, cracked from their previous fight. She remembered that the tentacles had squeezed her from the knees up.

"This isn't happening, this isn't happening..." Shinobu muttered some more, running out of options. "I can't, you're going to die, this is all my fault..."