Chapter 28

That night, after he set Shin's office ablaze, Muzan felt tears run down his face.

His entire life purpose has been shattered in a single moment. He tried to deny it, tried to convince himself that the doctor was lying... but as pathetic as humans are, Muzan knew one thing for sure.

Humans are more honest in their final moments than they are in their entire worthless lives.

And he didn't even have the chance to cope with this loss. He was stuck having to stare at his ugly 'daughter' for the rest of the night, and he expected that to make him angrier, but... it just made him sadder.

He had always known he was a coward on the inside. It was to be expected, given how powerful he was. If you are a man who has everything, your humanity starts to dwindle a little bit. But he had always thought of this as a good thing. He was a god among the earth's inhabitants! Anything that made him human was only making him weaker. That's why humans are so pathetic to a creature like him. Their flaws. Humans depend on things, humans make mistakes, humans are scared, happy, depressed, joyous, humans were jumbled messes of emotions, and that was always the one thing Muzan knew he didn't have. Whatever happened to him, he knew he had control over everything. When things didn't go his way, it was never a bother. He knew it would work out in the end. Why? Because he was a demon! The most perfect creature in all of nature.

Yet here he was, crying. Crying because of something he had no control over. Crying because he had suddenly stooped to the same level as everybody else.

And he was so... damn... close...

With nothing else interesting to do other than wallow in his own sadness, Muzan looked down at the child, who was sleeping peacefully on a small bed. He never imagined acting as a father to be this hard. It's either complete chaos or complete boredom every single damn day. What's the point of having a child, anyway? Muzan couldn't understand. He stared at the little girl's tiny fingers and all he thinks of is crushing them with his hands and watch her wail in pain. Maybe then, he could feel better about himself.

You know what, why shouldn't I do that?

At this point, the child had woken up. She smiled when she saw Muzan's face, and that only made Muzan want to crush her fingers even more.

What are you smiling at, brat?  Muzan thought.

As if to respond to her smile, Muzan risked it and made a scary face at the half-asleep girl, turning his eyes red and his teeth sharp. He leaned in as he did this, making sure the girl could see nothing else but his terrifying face.

To Muzan's shock, the girl laughed at him.

What?!

"Oto-san!" the girl said. "You look funny!"

I look funny.

She said I looked funny.

WHAT'S SO DAMN  FUNNY ABOUT A DEMON?!

Out of annoyance, Muzan growled at the girl, unintentionally making himself look 'funny' once again, which made the girl laugh AGAIN. Muzan knew he couldn't kill the child, but he was very, very close to doing so.

"Tsukihiko-san?" a voice said from the other side of the room. Instantly, Muzan stopped himself and raised his head. It was his fake wife, Tsukahiro.

"Wha- I mean, yes dear?" Muzan asked.

"It's already 11 'o clock." she said, chuckling a bit. "Time for her to go to bed."

"Oh. Right. Okay, sorry about that." Muzan said, getting up and scolding himself for not remembering his stupid daughter's schedule. He was nearing the door, when his wife gave him a very unimpressed face.