Chapter 13

Shinobu watched as the groom slowly shut the door. The fact that she was standing inside the men's bathroom was the least of her worries.

The groom looked at her. "Are you here to slay me?"

"I-" Shinobu couldn't answer.

"You're a demon slayer. Right?"

Shinobu stayed silent.

Suddenly, the groom sanked to his knees and started to sob uncontrollably.

"Please have mercy, dear slayer..." he said, his head on the ground. "Please let me have at least one moment with my wife before you slay me... Just one moment with her, I beg you... I know that I'm a demon, but I genuinely love her! With all my heart..."

"You..." Shinobu couldn't get words out.

The door to the bathroom opened, Giyuu behind it. Shinobu relaxed at the sight of him, gaining at least some sense of security.

"What did he want?" Giyuu asked, looking at the groom, still on his knees.

Shinobu looked down at the groom, then sighed. "One final moment with his wife. Before we slay him."

Giyuu walked over to the groom and knelt down to his level. This made the groom raise his head, tears streaming down his cheeks.

"We're not here to slay you." Giyuu said reassuringly. "We're here to save the people."

The groom wiped the tears away from his eyes. "Including my wife?"

Giyuu opened his mouth to speak, but then he noticed the bride, standing in the doorway, confused and worried. Giyuu looked back at the groom.

"Do you love your wife?" he asked.

The groom nodded.

Giyuu smiled. "Then I'll spare both of you." 

The groom's face curved into a thankful smile. Giyuu gestured to the bride, who rushed to her husband and knelt down. Seeing nothing else they could do, Giyuu and Shinobu walked out of the bathroom.

"My love..." the groom muttered. "It's about time I told you the truth."

Giyuu swung the door closed and leaned on the wall. He exhaled in relief. "About the dance... I-"

"Giyuu." she whispered sweetly. "I understand why. I shouldn't be so selfish. I should be sorry about compromising the mis-"

"No, no, no, no!" Giyuu interrupted, raising his hands. "It was me. I let myself fall down a rabbit-hole of planning and business, and I barely paid any attention to you. I... no, WE never had a real moment ever since we kissed."

Shinobu put her head down. "Maybe's it OUR fault."

Giyuu didn't answer. He couldn't decide if he completely agreed with that statement, but he was sure it wasn't wrong.

"C'mon." Shinobu said. "We should check on Hirohito."

. . .

"Your name's Hirohito, right?" Shinobu smiled. "You're going to get out of here, I promise."

The boy said nothing. He just sat there, huddled up in the corner and not saying a word. The kid was completely mute.

Shinobu sighed. It wasn't the first time she'd encountered victims of trauma, but she never got used to them.

"You're going to kill my father."

Shinobu looked up, the cold touch of guilt spiking up her back.