Chapter 11

Crickets chirpeed and dead leaves blew across the street as Giyuu and company walked through the streets of nighttime Tokyo, dressed in their formal attires. This part of the city was suspiciously empty, but then again, Not many apartment buildings were here. Mostly shops and eateries, which decided to close for the night.

Shinobu hugged her shoulders, cursing herself for asking the tailor to make a sleeveless dress.

Curse me! And to think I would have to wear this for the rest of the ni-

Before she could complete that thought, Giyuu draped his tuxedo's coat over her shoulders. The warm cotton underneath tickled her skin, making her chuckle.

Somewhere behind them, Zenitsu looked at them enviously, then turned his head to look at Nezuko, contemplating about something. He then turned away sharply, shaking his head. He would probably freeze without his coat anyway, and Nezuko looked fine in the cold.

Soon enough, they reached the wedding venue, the red building. Giyuu, with his sharp eyes, could make out the slight figure of the sharpshooters on top of the surrounding buildings. He didn't expect there to be so many, but he figured that a bit more backup wouldn't hurt. He almost smiled to himself as he caught a glimpse of Inosuke's furry mask.

What a strange boy. Maybe I'll teach him water breathing some day.

He suddenly came back to his sense, scolding himself for thinking of such things. He wasn't Urokodaki-sama! He wasn't supposed to be responsible for Inosuke! Get a grip, Giyuu!

From the building's doorway, a demon's figure emerged. Giyuu nodded at it, trusting of Haku's previous words.

Eichi is a good man, loyal to the Yakuza's true leader even after demonization. He despises Muzan, trust me, he's not a spy.

After a few demonstrations of exposing a bit more information about the demon's operations, Giyuu felt inclined to trust him. There are demon defectors in the world, Nezuko was excellent proof of that. It was a bit strange that he decided to pop out last-minute, but he was helping them with the mission, so what was there to complain?

"Tomioka-sama." Eichi greeted, bowing. He always acted like this, extremely respectful and polite.

"Ho." Giyuu said back. "Do you have his location?"

"Indeed, sir. The target is located at a personal table, flanked by two demon guards."

"By target, do you mean Hirohito or the groom?"

Eichi blinked, flummoxed at how unspecific he was. "-er... Hirohito, sir." His ears started to turn red, and his fists curled into a clench.

Giyuu arched his eyebrows. "...thank you." he said reluctantly. He does explicitly remember briefing him on the mission, specifically naming Hirohito as Target A and the groom as Target B. He should have been informed about the mission's codenames by now. And why was he clenching his fist as if he was mad? It was just a code name. It wasn't that much of a mistake.

Eh, he's a kid. Maybe a product of air-headedness.

Eichi lowered his head and stepped back, letting Giyuu pass through. He reached for the building's doorknob, but stopped.

"Shinobu." Giyuu turned to her, raising his hand. "Hand it over."

"But I'm cooooold..." Shinobu complained, tightening the coat around her.

If cuteness was my weakness,  Giyuu thought.  this entire mission would be over by now.

But he had no time to waste. As much as he loved Shinobu, he was still a slayer. He knew how to maintain composure. "Nu-uh. Give it up."