Chapter 35

Giyuu rode towards the final warehouse.

He had stolen a horse from an unsuspecting horse breeder at the outskirts of town. Cars were still a novelty, so horses were never seen as a step back in technology. He rode furiously through the trees, their shadows passing him, frantically blocking the moonlight above. The constant flashes of moonlight disoriented him, and he mentally thanked the stolen horse for managing to keep steady as it galloped.

Finally, he saw it. The final warehouse.

He tugged at the horse's reigns, skidding both of them to an abrupt stop. As far as he could see, the only demons that guarded it were inside. Thanks to the silence of the forest, he could clearly hear both of their voices.

He leapt off his horse and twisted to a crouching position. He sneaked up to the front door, peeking in through the slit of the doorframe, the light of the tungsten bulb almost blinding him. There were mountains of boxes, all stacked up against each other at the far side of the room, directly parallel to the front door where Giyuu was. He listened in to the two demons' conversation.

"What's the point, anyway?" one of them said. "We all know that they're both going to die anyway. Damn slayer in white scouring the city for demons."

They?  Giyuu thought.  Who's they?

"I know, right?" the other demon agreed. "It's almost stupid how Lord Mazan-"

"Dude!" the first demon yelled.

They both stood silently for a moment, the first demon anxiously waiting for something to happen, while the other demon just kept quiet, confused.

"Did you just say Lord Mazan?" the first one asked.

"Uuuuh... yeah." the second one nodded.

"Well, I guess it rolls much better off the tongue." the first one heckled. "More comfortable than 'The Demon King' or 'That Man'.

Giyuu smirked, wishing that the second demon had slipped and accidentally said Muzan's name properly.

"But the point is..." the second demon said. "it's almost stupid how much Lord Mazan loves them. He's too protective. Why couldn't he just preserve them with his own hands?"

"You already know why." the first demon said. "It reminds him of his humanity. Or something like that, I dunno. Either way, I think it's stupid. I already feel stupid just guarding them."

Giyuu struggled to comprehend what 'they' were. From what the second demon said about 'preserving' them, he came to the educated guess that they were some collection of jewelry, maybe a Kibutsuji family heirloom or something.

He didn't care anyway.

Giyuu rapped at the door, simulating a knock. The two demons immediately stopped talking, sniffing at the air.

"I smell a human." the second demon noted.

"Damn slayer in white." the first demon said. "I'll go check outside. You stay here."

Slayer in white?  Giyuu thought.  Who are they talking about?

He didn't have time to think about that, as the door started to creak open. Giyuu scrambled to the side opposite to the door's hinges. He stayed in the darker corner, where the flood of light didn't touch. The demon carefully poked his head out, looking for anything that resembled a person. Eventually, his eyes landed on Giyuu.

Before he could scream, Giyuu sliced off his head.

. . .