Chapter 3: The Owl Lady

The Clawthornes were...a strange family. Some of the members often had two paths to destiny. Their destiny would either be:

Crazy and homeless or brilliant and wealthy.

Edalyn Clawthorne was a bit of both. She wasn't homeless, but she wasn't wealthy. She was a little crazy, but brilliant. Not to mention, she was surprisingly kind...somewhat. She had a bit of a criminal record.

People called her 'The Owl Lady' due to living in an old house in the forest, along with having a thing for pet owls.

Eda groaned as she drove through the night, her pet owls 'Owlbert' and 'Hooty' in the backseat in their cage. "That was a close one...you almost exposed me, Owlbert."

Owlbert just let out a 'hoot' in response.

"Oh, don't give me that face. I can't scam someone into thinking they got a wealthy future if the crystal ball is just knocked off and shattered. That things just a fish bowl with lights in it."

Owlbert just blinked before letting out another hoot, walking around his cage with Hooty.

Eda sighed before she came across the entrance to the forest...but then saw something in the sky. She narrowed her eyes. "Wow. Moon's real bright today."

Then? She saw a shadow or silhouette of something falling. Eda just shrugged it off, thinking it was a bird. She eased her foot's grip on the gas petal, just in case the bird decided to be dumb and hit her window.

"Huh. That's a big bird. Kinda looks like a person!" Eda laughed before her eyes widened. "IT IS A PERSON-!"

The shadowy figure CRASHED against Eda's window, cracking it before rolling off and then tumbling into the weeds. Eda slammed on the brakes, turning on the wheel to not make it slide off the road.

The tires screeched as Eda turned, and Owlbert and Hooty screeched in fear, crashing around the cage.

Eda breathed heavily as her car screeched to a stop. She then growled and grabbed a shovel from the back, putting on her lights from her car. "OKAY, TIME TO KILL A DUMBASS SKYDIVER."

She slammed open the door and stepped out, gripping the shovel and slowly walking over, but then her eyes widened.

Some kind of teenage girl was cradling a furry creature, whispering sweet nothings to it. But that wasn't what weirded her out. She had a purple cloak, a white tunic, golden belt, and black and gray boots, pants, and sleeves. They looked like a superhero from a comic book.

When the light of her car shined upon the girl and the furry creature, both froze.

Eda then cleared her throat. "Uhhh...you good? And believe me, it's important that I'm asking if you're ok. My window's gonna take forever to pay for-"

Then, the girl turned around, hiding the furry creature in her cloak. She was just a teenager. Maybe 16 or 17.

She was just a kid.

"U-Ummm! Hey!" The girl said nervously. "...You don't eat flesh, do you?"

"Do I look like a cannibal?" Eda asked, but before the girl could answer, she shushed her. "Don't answer that, kid. I may look like I eat humans, but believe me, I don't unless they-"

The girl suddenly shrieked and hid completely in her cloak. "DON'T BURN MY COPRSE ON A STAKE!!!!"

Eda was VERY confused. Was this some dramatic cosplayer with a puppy or something? She couldn't seem to get it until she saw the girl's ears.

They were pointy. Like an elf's. But it wasn't plastic or foam or rubber...they were real. And Eda was a scammer, she could tell the difference between real and fake.