Chapter 4: Firsssst Day

"And here's the guest room." Eda said, showing Luz around her home, which is what she called The Owl House.

"Oh! It's...dark." Luz blinked, holding King close to her chest.

"Yeah...I don't usually have guests. So I never bothered to fix the lights." Eda said sheepishly.

"It's alright! Hang on!" Luz said as she gently set King down and walked into the room, and then spun around her finger. Then? Multiple orbs of light filled the room, lighting it up. "This will do for now!"

Eda blinked as King walked in. She then took a deep breath. "Oh, this is gonna take a lot of getting used too. Well, get some rest, kid. We have a lot of planning to do."

"Planning?" King asked as he crawled up onto the bed. "For what?"

"Well, I don't want the authorities at my door again." Eda said. "Your magic is gonna attract all types of bad people and people who call themselves good."

"Sounds a lot like home." Luz said with a nervous laugh. "But alright. Goodnight, Eda."

"Night." Eda said before leaving and closing the door.

Luz smiled before taking off her cloak and cuddling up in bed. King crawled up next to her and then nuzzled his way under her arm.

"You think we're gonna get home?" King asked.

"We'll find a way." Luz said. "Don't worry."

"And you really think we can trust the creepy old lady?" King asked.

"She's not old." Luz laughed. "Although the gray hair is a little off putting, she looks like Mom's age."

"What if she rats us out?"

"Then, we'll run. Not like we haven't escaped authorities before." Luz smiled. "But I trust her."

"Well, if you say so." King said before yawning.

"Want a lullaby again?" Luz giggled.

"Yes." King said, beginning to close his eyes.

Luz then put the blankets over them and then softly sang the star lullaby she sang yesterday, and then fell asleep soon after.

The next morning, the two awoke to something...loud. Luz shrieked and waved her arms around like she was about to karate chop somebody.

King just screamed and crawled under the blankets.

Turns out, it was just Eda banging some pots and pans together. "Rise and shine!"

"Eda!? Why did you do that!?" Luz screamed.

"It's almost 11:00 AM, so I'm your new alarm." Eda smirked. "Anyway, come on down. I got breakfast ready for ya."

"Breakfast...?" Luz whispered, her mouth watering.

"Please don't tell me you don't know what breakfast is..."

"No, no, no! I just had to steal breakfast back home!" Luz exclaimed. "But...having it served?"

"Have we died and gone to Heaven?!" King exclaimed, his mouth also watering. He then ran out of the bed and down the stairs.

"Oh. Wow." Eda said, blinking before she followed King. Luz did shortly after to see three plates of pancakes on the table.

King rushed over and hopped onto the table, digging his jaws into the pancakes.

Luz just sat down and took the fork, and then dug in. And with every bite, she relished the taste of syrup and food again. No adrenaline rush. Just peace.