Chapter 10: Secrets Slither

It had officially been weeks since Luz first went to school. She was the best of friends with Willow and Gus, and slight acquaintances with Amity.

Luz had been inside the human world for two months. And one day she was particularly looking forward too was coming up. One she was super excited to celebrate in the human realm.

King's Adoption Anniversary.

Luz and Eda went inside The Owl House, where King was watching TV with a cupcake in his hand.

"Hey! Where did you get that?" Eda asked.

"I found it in the Chamber of Ice!" King said cheerfully as licked up the pink frosting and ate away at the chocolatey substance.

"You mean the fridge?" Eda asked.

"Yeah! That!" King smiled. "This is really good! Truly worthy of keeping my hunger satiated!"

Luz smiled and then kissed King's forehead. "So, what did you do?"

"Watched the screen of magic- I mean TV." King said, his tail wagging, once again loving the affection.

Luz smiled before setting her backpack down and then sat down, putting King in her lap.

"Awww, you look so motherly." Eda laughed as she went to feed Hooty and Owlbert.

Luz smiled before seeing King cuddle up with her. She smiled before looking at him. "Guess what day is coming up, cutie pie?"

"My...birthday?"

"Nope!"

"Your birthday?"

"Nope!"

"Eda's birthday?"

"Nope!"

"Someone's birthday?"

"It's not a birthday." Luz laughed. "It's kinda like one though! It's your favorite day!"

King gasped. "THE COMEDY HOUR!?"

"Okay, second favorite day."

King gasped again. "Adoption Anniversary?!"

Luz smiled before nuzzling him. "Bingo!"

King smiled wide and hugged his owner tightly. "That's in a week!"

"Yes, it is!" Luz smiled, kissing his nose. "And it will be a Luz and King day!"

King's eyes went starry and he began to speak. "Thanks, Mo-"

Then? The TV once again showed bright red letters and cut to the news.

"It seems once again the mystical monsters of fiction are returning. Everyone please evacuate until the military or possibly our city's mysterious protector appears and defeats the creature." The reporter said, showing a quick footage of the monster.

Luz sighed. "I can't catch a break. There's like a monster every week!"

King pouted before seeing what the monster was. "A Slitherbeast?"

"Wha?" Luz asked as she looked at the TV. "Those things are usually peaceful! I mean, unless you bother it." She then gently set King down and once again got into her witch attire. "Let's get to the bottom of this."

Then, in a moment of heroism, she flew out the door and towards the city.

Meanwhile, the Slitherbeast roared and roared, trapping any citizens that didn't make it to the evacuation in time in mysterious purple goo.

The Slitherbeast was covered in head to toe with snowy white fur, and had horrifying yellow claws. Finally, the creature didn't seem to have any eyes. Or perhaps it did and it was just under all the fur.