Chapter 5: Golden Serpent

It had been a few days since Luz and King stayed with Eda the Owl Lady, but she loved her new home.

She didn't need to keep one eye open as she slept. She didn't need to use her own cloak as a blanket. She didn't need to worry about her sort of demon son getting cold.

And? She actually had different clothes. Night clothes and PJ's as well.

"I wanna stay here." Luz said as she cuddled up in the blankets again, in a gray tank top and purple shorts as her PJ's. "I mean...look at us, King! Eda is super nice and clever, and we're actually able to have food and good night's sleep."

"The chores stink, but yeah! This is the perfect home for a tyrant!!!" King declared.

"Maybe I'll even find love here." Luz laughed.

King stuck his tongue out. "Yuck!!! Don't fall to the dark side, Luz!!!"

"The dark side? I thought you were the ruler of darkness, my cutie pie?" Luz asked, watching King cuddle in her arms.

"The DARKER side." King said in a grave voice. "Besides, you don't need anyone else to love you."

"Awwww! King!" Luz squealed, kissing his forehead. "I love you too!"

King chuckled, loving the forehead kisses AND Luz's affection.

Luz then yawned and rested her head on the pillow. "Goodnight, King."

"Goodnight, Luz." King said as he closed his eyes.

The next morning, Luz practically bounced out of bed, but then blinked when she saw Eda about to slam pots and pans together again. She just shrugged it off and waved. "Morning, Eda!"

Eda had a bit of a disappointed look on her face. "I liked being the alarm clock..."

"Oh, uhh, sorry." Luz laughed. "I'll meet you downstairs!"

"Cya down there, kid." Eda said as she walked down the stairs.

Luz then changed into a purple and white hoodie and black pants, with the hoodie having cat ears on the end. She then put the hoodie over her head and looked into the mirror.

"Meow meow!" Luz said with a laugh before putting the hoodie down and walking over to King. "Morning!"

King slowly woke up. "5 more minutes..."

"Alright, King. You get to sleep in." Luz said as she kissed his forehead again and then walked downstairs...to see Eda carrying a giant sack over her shoulders. "Uhh...what's that?"

"Nothing stolen." Eda said a little too quickly as she walked into the basement.

"Wait, what?" Luz asked, eyes widening.

"YOU HAVE HEARD NOTHING!!!" Eda screamed from the basement.

Luz blinked again before shrugging it off. It was probably nothing. She then sat down on the table and started to eat a bowl of cereal. Life couldn't get better than this.

Meanwhile...

Golden Guard let his cape blow in the wind, cackling as he faced something glowing. "Soon...The Witch will meet her demise."

He then sighed. "No, no, no. That doesn't work. Maybe 'SOON SHE WILL MEET HER DEMISE!'?" Golden Guard asked himself. "Yes! That's it! Put more emotion into it!" He then clapped. "Man, I love my job!"

And then? The glowing light enlarged and there was a giant slithering sound. Golden Guard grinned widely before getting onto his staff and flying high into the air.