Chapter 4: Fear and Love

He was locked in school of all places, and with a behenji, a nerd of all people. At least if he was with Munna and Pandit, they could do something fun to kill the time, but no. This girl would probably open her books and start studying while he tried to get out of there.

"This is nonsense!" Sameer complained. "Now what do we do?" 

Naina had a few ideas, but she didn't want to say them just yet. When else would she get to spend time with Sameer alone? 

She just watched him silently as he paced back and forth in the hallway, trying to think of how they could get out of here. 

"Window!" he exclaimed as an idea hit him. "We can jump out of the window! There have to be some on this floor too!"

Naina smiled, "They have bars on them." 

"Bars? All of them?" Sameer asked. 

She nodded. "Yes, all of them." 

She knew every nook and cranny of this school, having studied here for over ten years now.  

"Do they think we are in a jail? Why would they put bars on windows?" Sameer asked. 

"Maybe so we don't jump out," Naina suggested, with a smile. 

"This is ridiculous," Sameer huffed and started to hit the door loudly. "Ow!" 

Naina felt her heart jump when he got hurt. She reached forward but then retracted her hand immediately. She barely introduced herself to him, how could she take care of his pain? 

"The door won't make a sound. It's not wood," she told him. 

"Then you tell me, what should we do?" Sameer asked, sounding annoyed. 

"I don't know," Naina said and glanced towards the principal's office. "Maybe the phone in the Principal's office." 

Sameer made a beeline towards the principal's office without even wasting a second. He wanted to get out of here as soon as possible. Naina, with a smile, followed him there. However, even that door was locked. 

That was when it finally hit Naina that they probably would be stuck here all night. 

She would be murdered at home. 

Sameer ran his hands through his damp hair. "I need water," he said, and Naina offered her water bottle to him. 

She held it up and he took it without a question, pouring water into his mouth like a waterfall, his lips not touching the bottle. 

"Thanks," he told her. She closed the lid of the water bottle and leaned against the wall. 

Her heart started to beat faster as the anxiety began to hit. How would she face her family if she didn't leave this school now? 

"If only there was a phone where you could carry with you all the time!" Sameer said, annoyed by the situation. 

Naina laughed, as if it was a joke. There could be no such thing, of course. If there was, only the important people would be able to use it. Not common people like them. 

Sameer leaned on the wall next to him and finally calmed down. "Munna and Pandit know I came to get the book. They will figure out I'm locked here... I hope."

Naina nodded, now hoping too. As much as she wanted to spend time with Sameer, she knew that she had to go home. 

"I hope they come soon," Naina murmured. 

"Let's find some place to sit," Sameer said with a sigh and she nodded. 

There was a bench close to the entrance, so they went there. In case the door opened, they didn't want to miss it by being somewhere else.