Chapter 19: The Painful Aftermath

Naina didn't understand what was happening. She was too shocked to react. However, the tears fell of their own accord. It was a pure sense of sadness that filled up her insides. 

Their love was a lie? It had been false all along? Sameer had faked it? 

It wasn't registering. All that her body knew how to do was shake. All that she knew how to do was cry. 

Swati's hand held hers, but Naina didn't even feel that. She was too numb. 

Sameer looked up and saw Naina's grief-stricken face, her tear-filled eyes, and immediately he felt his heart shatter into a thousand tiny pieces. 

He stepped towards her, but Naina backed away. 

She pulled her hand away from Swati's and ran. She ran as fast as she could. She didn't know where she was going but she wanted to go far. Far away from Sameer and his lies. 

Sameer started to walk faster behind her, but before he could even take a few steps forward, he fell to his knees. He couldn't do it. He had done so wrong to her, so wrong. With what face could he go to her? What would he say to her? 

Munna and Pandit ran towards Sameer and placed their hands on his shoulder. 

Swati gave the three of them a death glare. 

"You guys will pay for this," she hissed, and then she ran after Naina, to make sure her best friend was okay. 

"Sameer," Munna said, but Sameer pushed Munna's hand off his shoulder. He pushed away Pandit's hand too and stood up, shaking. 

Then before he knew it, he too was running. He ran in the opposite direction, his heart aching, his eyes feeling wet. 

Naina was the one whose heart broke, then why did he feel like his world had just come crashing down upon him? Naina was the one in pain, then why was it hurting him so much? How could he feel Naina's pain so strongly? Was it her pain or was it his own?

Sameer reached a corner of the park where nobody else was. He sat on the grass and pulled his knees up to his chest, sobbing into his knees like a little child. 

He felt like he lost something -- something so valuable that his life almost felt meaningless without it. He struggled getting love from his own family, yet a stranger -- Naina, who he had no connection with, showed him love in such a beautiful way. She showed him love to the point where she even forgot about her own morals and ethics. For him, she was willing to leave everything behind.

Yet, he hurt her. He lost her. 

"I'm only good for pushing people away," Sameer sobbed. "Nobody can love me. I push them all away. I'm not worthy of anyone's love. I'm so bad. I only bring bad luck and misfortune to those who love me." 

Naina was crying in the other end of the park. Her own knees were up to her chest. She was shaking uncontrollably. 

"It was all a lie Sameer?" she gasped through her tears. "It was all a lie?" 

Those moments they spent under the night sky. The time he confessed his love to her. When they held hands. The times he complimented her and smiled at her. 

It was all a lie? 

Swati came to her and bent down on the floor beside her. She gently wiped away the tears on Naina's cheeks. 

"That jerk," Swati swore. "I hate him. I will get payback Naina." 

Naina just sniffled and hid her face in her knees. 

Then Swati engulfed Naina in a tight hug. 

"Don't worry Naina. It will be okay. He lost a gem. He will regret this for his whole life," Swati told her.

She couldn't hold her sobs anymore. Whole life? That was what she had dreamed to spend with Sameer. All of those dreams, those wishes had now drowned somewhere. Now there was no more future for them. 

Munna and Pandit had to literally drag Sameer back to the residence when the teachers called them back to the bus. They sat on a different bus than the girls, and even when they reached the residence, both Sameer and Naina avoided looking at each other. 

If he looked at her, he would only remember how he betrayed her. How he faked his love for such a cheap and stupid reason. 

"What was I thinking?" Sameer cried that night in their room, as both Munna and Pandit sat on either side of him on the bed. "Why did I even make that stupid bet?"

They had their arms around him comfortingly. 

Both Munna and Pandit also felt bad, that somewhere deep down they had aided in this. 

Swati brought some food for Naina in their room that night. She could barely eat. She ate what she could and laid down in bed. She closed her eyes and with a broken heart and tears running down her face, she cried herself to sleep. 

Sameer on the other hand, was no different. He didn't eat dinner. The hunger for redemption was far stronger than any hunger he felt. He closed his eyes, and crying, he also fell asleep. 

The two of them were far away from each other. They were drifting apart even further. However, the pain they felt was shared, and the premise in which they felt this pain was also shared by the two of them.

--

Thank you for reading. I hope you liked the chapter. The next part will be posted soon and I'm very excited for it. ❤️