Chapter 12: On the Way to Mount Abu

The next few days passed in a blur. Naina and Sameer continued to have secret phone calls, and Naina had even come up with a two ring code that impressed Sameer. If she called him, she would hang up after two rings, and he would do the same. That way, they would know it was the other one calling. 

"O Bai! How come our phone bill is so high these days?" her Taiji yelled, coming into their apartment. 

Naina was all set to leave for the school trip, her suitcase was packed, and a happy smile was on her lips. She had spent her nights dreaming about what she would get to do with Sameer on the trip. 

"I don't know Bhabhiji," Bela chachi said, bringing cardamom tea for her taiji. Bela called Taiji as Bhabhiji, which meant sister-in-law. "Even I find it weird."

"Bela, don't even lie! You have been calling your maayka a lot these days right?" Beena taiji taunted. Maayka meant maternal home. 

Beena Taiji and Bela Chachi always had a cat and mouse type of relationship, where Taiji was the cat and Chachiji was the mouse. 

"You're going?" Taiji asked, sipping her tea and glancing at Naina. "Stay away from the boys there. Remember you are only going there for your studies. Don't cut our nose in society." 

Naina nodded her head side to side, looking down. 

If Taiji ever found out about Sameer, Naina would be finished. 

"I'm telling you, these movies are ruining everything! All the movies show young boys and girls falling in love, running away from their families and getting married! What kind of era are we living in?" Taiji asked, shaking her head. 

Bela made a motion to Naina to go quickly. 

Preeti, who was sitting sadly on the sofa pouted when she saw Naina with her suitcase. 

"Preeti, at least say bye," Naina said to her with a smile. 

Preeti shook her head tears in her eyes. "You're going for a whole week! How can you leave me here alone for one week!" 

"O Bai! Even I'm saying she's going for a week," Beena Taiji commented, "Pooja's wedding preparations are going on, and your niece is leaving for a week." She was taunting Chachiji as usual. 

"She has helped extra with the preparations," Bela Chachi said, and Naina just quickly hugged Preeti and left before her Taiji could make any more comments. 

Sameer on the other hand was already at the bus area, waiting for Naina. He was running his fingers through his hair, beside Munna and Pandit. 

"Why is she so late?" he asked, looking in the distance. 

"Why are you so restless?" Munna asked, nudging him. 

"It's like he's fallen for her for real," Pandit said, making a face. "You didn't forget the insult right Sameer?" 

"No of course not!" Sameer snapped. "I want her to come quickly so I can move ahead with the challenge." 

Munna leaned into Pandit's ear and said, "Something is fishy. He seems different."

"Yes, even I feel the same way," Pandit whispered, "But that librarian and his daughter insulted Sameer badly..." 

"Still, if he does like her then we can let it go," Munna whispered back. 

"I guess if he falls in love with the behenji, then she will be our bhabhi!" Pandit said then jumped, holding Munna's shoulder. 

Munna started to jump up and down too. Sameer looked at the two of them, "What?" 

"Nothing," Munna said, putting his fingers to his lips and giggling with Pandit. 

Sameer shook his head, still restless. Where was she? 

Finally, she arrived, struggling with her suitcase. He grinned. Pandit shoved Munna and pointed at Sameer's smile. 

Sameer went over to Naina, almost like he was in a trance and took the suitcase from her hand. 

"Hi Sameer," Naina said, smiling. 

When he took the suitcase from her, her heart fluttered.

"Hi Naina," he said softly, also smiling at her. 

It was only a few seconds, but they hadn't spoken. Their eyes seemed to be lost in communication, but their silence was heard by everyone else. 

Swati came to Naina, and put her hand around Naina's back. 

"Hi Sameer," Swati said, breaking Sameer from his trance. "Are you excited for the trip?"

Naina shook herself out of it too, and smiled at her best friend. 

"Hi Swati," Sameer said, and before he could say anything more, Munna and Pandit joined them. 

"Pandit you're looking extra beautiful today," Munna said shyly, referring to Swati indirectly. 

"Oh am I?" Pandit asked, "Thank you Munna-ji."

Swati rolled her eyes. 

"How am I looking Pandit?" Munna asked, and glanced at Swati before looking down shyly. 

"Like a monkey!" she retorted, and then turned to face Sameer. "Sameer, you're looking handsome." 

Munna pouted and walked away sadly, Pandit following him to reassure him. 

Naina didn't know what to say. She was just excited for the trip. However, the way that Sameer was looking at her was making her blush. She didn't know why but his gaze on her seemed very different today. 

"Thanks Swati," Sameer said, "You... and your friend are both looking very beautiful." 

Naina felt her heart jump and she blushed again. Sameer was calling her beautiful, and she knew it. Even though he took Swati's name, his gaze was only on her. 

Nobody usually called her beautiful. She was an average looking girl. Her Taiji often used to mock her by saying she didn't have looks and no mother, so it would be hard to find someone to marry her. 

"Thanks Sameer," Swati said. "Sameer, would you like to sit with me on the bus?" 

Naina turned with a start to Swati, "And where will I sit?" she demanded. 

Sameer laughed. He couldn't help it. Her small outburst was cute. 

"I'll sit with you," Sameer offered, and Naina blushed. 

"What?" Swati gasped. 

"Boys and girls shouldn't sit together," Naina mumbled, blushing. 

"Why is that?" Sameer teased. 

"The teachers won't like it and people will talk," she mumbled. 

Swati looked from Sameer to Naina, suspecting something. 

She leaned closer to Naina and asked, "Hey, what are you hiding from me?"

Naina just shook her head and went inside the bus, still blushing. She sat down next to the window and Swati sat next to her. 

Sameer took the seat directly in front of Naina. He wanted to talk to her, but Swati was right there. It was hard to speak to her, unless he separated her from Swati somehow. 

Finally, as the bus rolled towards their destination, Sameer closed his eyes and just waited for the right moment. 

It was all for the bet. He didn't have any other reason to win Naina's heart.

On the other hand, even Munna and Pandit were seeing what Sameer could not see yet. 

This trip was about to be an eventful one, but both Sameer and Naina were unaware of the impending storm that was heading their way. 

--

Thanks for reading! This trip is going to be a wild ride. 

Please like and comment because it's huge motivation for me!