Chapter 23: A Changed Man

The next morning, when Munna and Pandit woke up, they were surprised to see that Sameer was already awake. Usually, he would be the one who would sleep the longest out of the three of them, and with the recent happenings, he had been in more of a depressed state. 

Today, Sameer didn't look sad. He looked happy. In fact, he was smiling. 

"What happened to him?" Munna asked Pandit. 

"Must have taken some medicine," Pandit responded, furrowing his eyebrows and looking at Sameer closely, wondering if this was some kind of illusion. 

Sameer was humming to himself and putting on his shoes. He had already showered and gotten ready for the day. 

"Sameer," Munna said, yawning. "Why are you awake so early?" 

"I have many things to do," Sameer said happily. 

"Like what?" Pandit asked, his brows still furrowed, trying to figure out what was happening. 

"I have to make sure Naina's day goes smoothly," Sameer said, grinning. 

Both Munna and Pandit looked at each other and shook their heads like Sameer was a gone case. 

Sameer laughed and got up after tying his shoelaces. He threw his arms around Munna and Pandit. 

"You two were right," he told them, grinning. "I'm in love."

Munna and Pandit's jaws dropped. Had he finally accepted it?

"Yes, I've accepted it," Sameer said, laughing, and ruffled their hairs. "It's true. I love Naina."

Both Munna and Pandit stared at each other with shock. Sameer, with a smile, just left the room. 

"Wow," Munna and Pandit said in unison. 

Sameer waited in the canteen just to catch a glimpse of Naina. Last night her words were harsh and they hurt him, but this newfound feeling of love was keeping the flame in his heart alive, and that flame had ignited his whole insides with so much light. 

How could he be unhappy when he found out that he had the best feeling in this world within him? 

Soon, students came pouring into the canteen one by one. Even Swati arrived, but Naina never came. He wondered where she was. 

After some time, he approached Swati. 

"Hi Swati," Sameer said. 

It was at this time both Munna and Pandit entered the canteen. They walked over to Sameer. 

"What do you want?" Swati snapped. 

"Where's Naina?" Sameer asked. 

"Please leave her alone," Swati hissed, "You have hurt her enough already." 

Sameer felt his heart ache, but he didn't give up. He sat down across from Swati, and Munna and Pandit took their seats at the same table as well. 

Swati huffed. 

"Why are all of you here?" she snapped. 

"We will go if you tell us where Naina is," Pandit told her. 

"Yes Pandit, please tell us where Naina is," Munna said shyly, referring to Swati fondly as Pandit again. 

Swati kicked Munna from under the table making him yelp in pain. 

"Pandit that wasn't nice," he said, pouting. 

"Please Swati," Sameer begged. "We won't hurt her ever again. We just want to heal her." 

Swati paused for a second and looked from Sameer to Munna to Pandit. 

"How can you guys heal her? The hand that was raised to hurt her will be the hand that heals her?" she questioned, scoffing. "Does this seem like a joke to you? Are her feelings just a game?"

Sameer shook his head quickly. 

"No Swati," he explained. "I promise that her feelings are not just a game. I really want to bring her old smile back."

"I don't trust you guys anymore," Swati told them, and shook her head. 

"You can trust us Swati," Pandit urged. "Sameer has really changed." 

Swati looked down, like she was hesitating. "No Sameer. I can't," she refused. "You hurt her too much."

"I know Swati," Sameer agreed, "But don't you also want to see your friend smiling?"

Swati nodded. 

"Then, please tell us," Sameer begged. "Tell us where she is. I need to show her that she is truly special. I need to restore that lost self-confidence. I need to bring the old happy Naina back."

Swati hesitated for a moment and then sighed, "Fine. She went home."

"What?" Sameer yelled. 

"Her Chachaji got sick, so Shanti teacher arranged for her to be sent back home. She left early in the morning," Swati said. 

Was Naina's Chachaji okay? Sameer knew how fond she was of her uncle. 

"Sameer, I think you should give her some space and time," Swati explained. "If you just run after her, she will feel more hurt and will think you are doing it with a motive... even I am confused if I can trust you." 

"You can trust me," Sameer told her whole-heartedly. 

"Yes please trust us," Munna said, pouting. 

"I don't know," Swati said, and looked down. 

Sameer knew that it would be hard to mend old relationships, but he was going to do whatever he could to show Naina that she was loved. Naina did not need to love him or trust him in return. She could hate him and curse him her whole life if that was what she wanted, but Sameer would not back down from making her feel loved.

"I hope Naina's Chachaji is okay," Sameer murmured, "And I hope she is too." 

She was going through so much now, and he couldn't even be there for her.