Chapter 6: His True Colors

Naina did get scolded (especially by her Taiji), but she came up with an excuse about how Swati needed her help with math, and she lost track of time. She had never lied in her life before, and this was the first time she was lying. All because of Sameer Maheshwari who had taken over her heart so suddenly.

That evening, as she sat at her desk, trying to focus on her studies, the hour and a half she spent with Sameer replayed in her mind. He had opened up part of his life to her. They had played a game together. He drank from her water bottle. He smiled at her. He cared for her. 

Did he like her too?

The thought made her blush, and she covered her face with her hands. These days all she could think about was Sameer, but somehow she was still managing to focus on her studies and fly by as the topper. If her marks dropped, she would be really sad. 

Naina, who had written Sameer's phone number on a page of her notebook, waited for everyone to go to sleep, before she dialled it on their family's landline phone. 

"Hello?" his voice said. 

She was relieved that Sameer had picked up and not anyone else, but she didn't know what to say. So she just silently sat there, happy to only be hearing his voice. 

"Hello?" he asked again. 

She didn't say anything, and after a moment he hung up the phone. Naina got up and picked up her sweater, holding the sleeve up and twirling around the dark room with it. She was so happy to have heard his voice. So, so happy.

The next day at school, she looked at Sameer with a smile, but he didn't look her way. She didn't think much about it, because loving him from afar was okay with her. 

A few days later, Naina saw Sameer, Munna and Pandit smoking on the roof of the school and her heart dropped. She saw the cigarette in Sameer's hand, and him bringing it to his lips and taking the puff. 

How could she marry him now? Her Chachaji would never approve! And Sameer lied to her that those were his cigarettes. Why did he lie to her? She felt heartbroken.

Tears in her eyes, she ran from there, but not before Sameer, Munna and Pandit saw her. 

"The behenji is going to tell on us," Pandit exclaimed. 

"We're done for!" Munna said. 

Sameer pressed his lips together. 

"She won't," he said to them. "I'll make sure of it." 

"How will you do that?" Munna asked. 

"Nobody can resist Sameer Maheshwari's charms," Sameer said, watching the behenji retreat. "I'll just have to charm her." 

"Not possible bro," Pandit said. "The only thing that can charm her is her studies!" 

Sameer continued to gaze intensely at her retreating figure, "I don't know about that, but I can definitely make sure she doesn't tell on us for smoking." 

Sameer rushed down to follow her, and when he got to her, all Naina could smell was the smoke, and she cringed. 

"Naina," Sameer said. 

She wiped her wet eyes. 

"You're crying?" he asked her, alarmed. 

She couldn't say anything to him in this state. She just turned around and bolted from there. Sameer was about to run after her when Vikram and his buddies stopped him in the middle of the hall. 

"How about a match?" Vikram asked, throwing a basketball at him. 

Sameer pushed the basketball aside and was about to run after Naina to stop her before she could tell the teachers on them. 

"Seems like he has never drank his mother's milk," Vikram said with a sneer to his two buddies, and that set Sameer off. Before he knew it, he turned around and threw a punch at Vikram. 

Naina who heard the commotion, turned around and saw Sameer punching Vikram. 

More tears flooded her eyes. 

Sameer Maheshwari smoked and he got violent. 

What kind of man did she fall in love with

--

This is a shorter chapter, but I'll probably post another one in a few hours. Like I said in the first few chapters, I want the chapters to be shorter but updates to come very quickly. 

Thank you all for reading and supporting.

Please continue to like the chapters and comment as it provides me with the motivation to post faster updates! ❤️