part two

After minutes of sitting in front of the fire, lost in my thoughts about the day that I had, my senses were slowly coming back

After minutes of sitting in front of the fire, lost in my thoughts about the day that I had, my senses were slowly coming back. With them, the adrenaline of the whole situation wore off and pain erupted throughout my side again, causing a groan to slip through my lips, long and drawn out. The man was standing back facing away from me when he must have heard my groan of pain, and he was close to me faster than I would have expected.

   "What happened? Are you okay?"

   I shook my head and gritted my teeth against another wave of pain that erupted, causing me to jerk. I felt a couple tears slip out of my eyes, without my permission. His eyes tracked the movement of one of the tears and his hand twitched where it rested against his thigh. "My ribs. Think the seatbelt bruised them pretty badly."

   "Alright. Shit. Do you want some pain meds? I have Tylenol and Ibuprofen."

   "As many ibuprofen as I am allowed to take, please." His eyes lingered on me only a second longer before he pulled himself upright (God, he was fucking humongous) and stalked off towards a different area of the cabin that I couldn't see from my spot on the couch. He was offering me everything I needed for no reason. I had never expected something like this from a complete stranger, but something about him was warm and gentle under the big lumberjack persona. Lumberjacks are hot, though. No. I do know this random man, I will not start having dirty, objectifying thoughts about him.

   When he was in my line of sight again, he was carrying four tablets, a glass of water  and a small first aid kit. He handed me the pills and water and I swallowed them quickly, along with the water bottle. Whenever that was done, he sat crouched beside the sofa, his eyes slowly moving down my body, and if I wasn't just in a car wreck, I would think he was checking me out. But he had been searching and mentally cataloguing any visible injuries.

   "You got a cut on your collar bone there, you mind?" He held up the first aid kit and pointed to my chest. I looked down and noticed that there was dried blood, my blue coat was soaked through.

   "Yeah, um. Let me take off my jacket." My voice sounded so small and fragile, unfamiliar to my own ears.

  He nodded and helped me into a sitting position. I winced as I moved the jacket slowly off my shoulders. He took it from my hands and set it on the floor beside him, then set to work on cleaning my injuries. I took a moment to study him as he worked to maybe distract myself from his hands on my body. I was no virgin, for sure, but I had been on the road for so long that I hadn't wanted to be with a man. It had been months, and my body was responding the way you would expect it to, involuntarily, of course.

   His face was close to mine, I could see all of the perfect imperfections. His eyes were blue, mesmerizing, and the first thing that came to my mind was spongebob singing, 'Down here in the deep blue sea!" I would guess that he was somewhere around 28, his face still young but looking more rugged and gruff under his beard. His beard was thick, dark, but had small lighter brown and red hairs spread throughout it, and I knew his jaw would be sharp  and defined underneath. His shoulders were massive, even under the coat he was still wearing I could tell her had muscles, there was no missing them. He was beautiful. I had to stop myself from reaching out and running my fingers through his long hair.