part eight

After the sun had set, despite not doing anything good for the world the entire day, I was very tired

After the sun had set, despite not doing anything good for the world the entire day, I was very tired. I had taken more Ibuprofen while Caid was outside earlier in the evening but it was wearing off and making the dull ache in my side flare into a burning pain.

   Caid was outside getting enough firewood to last us the rest of the night so he wouldn't need to go out again and I contemplated waiting for him to get back inside and ask him to get me more medicine, but I had put him out for last day and I didn't want to impose or be an annoying guest.

   Although, he didn't seem annoyed by me at all. He was talking to me a lot, which is something that seemed to surprise him as well. And he had said that he was lonely and enjoyed having someone to talk to after so long alone. I loved being that person for him, he brought out a different side in me, too.

   Before college, before James (my ex-boyfriend), I would like to think I was a more outgoing person whenever it came to the world, but having that familiarity with the same person and job for so long, there weren't many opportunities for me to grow. I felt different with Caid, like I could be the girl that I was all those years ago. The thought was confusing, because I had known this man for such a short amount of time, and already I was thinking things that I had never considered before, even whenever I was in a relationship with James.

   Before I could get too deep in my thoughts and forget about the medicine, I shook my head and uncurled my legs from under me on the couch as slow as I could. I used my left hand to hold onto the arm of the couch while I pushed myself up into a standing position.

   The pain in my side managed to stay to a minimum as I was walking to the kitchen, a lot less pain than last night and this morning, which I was grateful for. Earlier whenever I walked into the kitchen, the painkillers were sitting on the island, waiting to be used by me. As of now, they were nowhere in sight. I assumed that after Caid cooked dinner and cleaned the kitchen he put them back in their rightful place, but there were many cabinets around the kitchen, and I had no clue where to look.

   I shouldn't just go snooping through his cabinets. Right? I didn't want to invade his privacy, and while I didn't think he was hiding any illegal drugs or body parts in his cabinets, I didn't want to overstep. I had done that enough by just being in his space.

   All I had to do was wait for him to get back inside, which shouldn't take long considering all he had to do was pick up the wood and bring it back inside. Unless he had to chop up more? But he was outside for a long time earlier and I heard a rhythmic thumping that could only be associated with wood chopping outside in the middle of nowhere, so that wasn't likely.

   As if on cue, Caid walked back into the house carrying a huge armload of wood, and once again I was amazed and mesmerized at how big and strong this man was. He was by far the best looking man I had ever seen, and the strength that he exhibited just added onto the appeal of him. Everything he did seemed to send my libido kicking into high gear, and I cursed myself silently for it. And like he said, he tried the girlfriend thing and decided that he liked being alone better.