part fifteen

a little treat of both of their povs in one chapter, enjoy :)

Kincaid had come back and cooked breakfast for us, but then left soon after and I hadn't seen him since

Kincaid had come back and cooked breakfast for us, but then left soon after and I hadn't seen him since. It was almost completely dark, and he had never stayed away this long. I wasn't going to starve or anything, I heated up all the food that I needed to and even heated up leftovers for him as well, assuming he would be back soon. He wasn't.

Thirty more minutes went by, and I had a horrible feeling in my gut. My stomach was twisting in knots, and there was a little voice in the back of my head telling me to go find him. I wanted to, so bad. It was completely dark, and I didn't know what anything around here looked like, but it had been hours. He should have been back.

I waited a couple more minutes, listened for any noises outside at all that would indicate a person, anything, at this point, but I heard nothing.

That's it. I can't wait anymore.

I got up and went to his bedroom, pulling out a sweater and a pair of thick pants. I changed quickly and went to the door to put on my boots. I had just pulled the second one on and was lacing it up whenever the door opened and bumped into her, making me lose my balance.

I fell forward but caught myself, whipping my head to be greeted by Caid, finally.

"Oh, thank God," I mumbled. I had never been more relieved to see someone in my life.

"What are you doing?" He asked, his voice was raspy and didn't sound the same. He had been outside in the cold for a long time.

"I-" I stopped myself before I said too much. But really, what else was I going to say? "I kind of got scared. You've been gone a while and I thought you got eaten by a bear or something," I explained.

His lips twitched up in the corner, under that full beard of his that only seemed to be getting better as the days went on.

"Sorry," he said, and started pulling off his wet clothes. I did the same as he spoke. "I was working for a while, but I ran into my brother."

"Really?" I asked. I tried to keep the disappointment out of my voice, but there was no hiding it. If he was seeing people, then that meant exactly what I thought. The snow had melted enough, and it was almost time for me to go.

I don't know if Caid came to the same realization, yet, but he just nodded his head and made his way towards the kitchen.

"Cocoa?"

He was pulling out the ingredients and I mumbled a 'sure' but was lost in my head.

Like ripping off a band-aid. It shouldn't be this hard, Violet, just do it.

"Hey, if you saw you brother, that means the roads are open, doesn't it?"

Caid's movements froze again, like they had done whenever he left earlier in the day, but he met my eyes and nodded his head. "Yeah, Killian said they just started opening them today," he responded. I tried to read him again, read what he was thinking and feeling, but he was as closed off as ever.