part fourteen

The next day, the sun had melted so much of the snow, and I felt the knot in my stomach grow tighter with every glance out the window

The next day, the sun had melted so much of the snow, and I felt the knot in my stomach grow tighter with every glance out the window. I shouldn't be like this. I shouldn't be this comfortable with a man I barely knew, shouldn't be wishing for more snow or hoping that he'd ask me the one question I wanted to hear.

   Why would he? He doesn't know me.

   Doesn't he, though?

   I silenced the voice in my head, hoping it would offer me some peace. But no thoughts at this point were great. I had woken up before Caid somehow and got out of his bed to sit on the couch in the living room.

   Magnolia sat at my feet, staring out the window just as I was. She whined, then looked up at me, like she knew what I was thinking. Knew that I would be leaving soon.

   I had to, right? I had probably already overstayed my welcome, and he had said he likes to be alone. We had enjoyed each other for the time that we were given, and I was supposed to accept that.

   Okay, I need to stop thinking about it. At least in this capacity. I reached towards the coffee table where the notebook I had taken from him lay and picked up the pencil alongside it. Sketching would help.

   I wasn't really sure where to start, but as I was thinking, my hand started moving on its own, as if it had a mind of its own.

   I thought about the first day. He was so gentle and attentive, which was surprising and so welcome, especially coming from him. His arms had felt so strong and warm wrapped around me whenever I freaked out the first morning, cocooning me and protecting me. And every time he kissed me, it felt the same way. Whether his arm was around my waist or his hands holding my neck, framing my face, it just felt right.

   He saved me, and then he offered me a place to stay and was vulnerable in front of me, which is something that I can't say for most men, especially after only know them a mere number of hours at that point. Regardless of what happened, I loved him. I had to, right? There was no other word to describe it.

   Almost an hour had passed, and I was so lost in my drawing and my thoughts that I didn't notice Caid standing there. The floorboard creaked under his weight and I jumped at the sound.

   I turned my head towards him and smiled, relieved and afraid at the same time. Did he see my drawing? They were meant for him, in some way, but I wasn't ready for him to see any of them yet.

   "Sorry, didn't mean to scare you. I was standing there for a good five minutes before you noticed," Caid said, walking to the kitchen and pouring him a cup of coffee from the pot I had made earlier.

   "It's rude to stare," I joked, closing the notebook, and walking over to him. I was only wearing one of his t-shirts, completely bare everywhere else.

   "How can I not, Violet?" He asked quietly, his eyes falling to my shoulders where his t-shirt was slowly slipping down. He caught it in his fingers as he caught my mouth with his own and pulled the sleeve back up, his fingertips trailing making goosebumps appear all over the right side of my body. I was halfway convinced he pulled it back up just to see it slip slowly off again, because it was already making its journey back down.