part six

this one is longer than usual, enjjoooyyyyyy

______________________________________

   Being by myself for the past couple of hours has proved to be excruciatingly boring

Being by myself for the past couple of hours has proved to be excruciatingly boring. There was quite literally nothing to do. Magnolia kept me company for most of the time, but she could only entertain so much. After taking a shower like Caid offered, I found a deck of cards lying on the counter and ended up playing Solitare for a long time.

   I was very relieved whenever Caid walked back into the house. At least, at first. Once I took a look at him, his face red from the cold, snow covering every part of him, I had the urge to wrap my arms around him and warm him up with skin on skin contact. There was snow in his thick beard and all I wanted to do was run my fingers through it and get the snow out for him.

   He stripped down to his long sleeve, pants and socks and walked quickly to his room, and I couldn't take my eyes off him, as I'm sure he knew. Control yourself, Violet. You are stuck with him, and if you can't be thinking like this whenever he probably is annoyed by you here. He took one glance at me, I saw his eyes travel down to what I was wearing, and didn't look at me again. Was he mad that I was wearing his clothes? Should I have waited and asked? Probably.

   Caid returned minutes later wearing a similar pair of sweatpants as me and a long sleeve shirt. I wish he didn't look so good, of course the man that saved would have to be a greek god.

   "Sorry, I'm a little late, do you want some lunch?" He asked. His voice sounded rougher, probably from breathing in the cold air outside for so long, and I had to hold in a shiver.

   I looked at the clock on the wall and noticed that it was about 2:45, and I didn't realize that it had been that long. I guess time passed faster than I thought.

   "Yeah, sure."

   "Anything you don't like?"

   "I am willing to try everything and there are very few things I don't eat."

   "That's good to hear." He smiled a little without showing his teeth and I looked away from him. I did not want to get caught for the third time staring at him. The first two were bad enough. Although, I wouldn't mind seeing that sparkle. The one of amusement that I saw a glimpse of whenever he caught me before he left. I found myself wondering what else I could do or say to be able to see it.

   "I'm gonna make vegetable soup." I had moved from the couch to a stool at the kitchen island again.I didn't say anything and he didn't wait for a response before getting vegetables from the refrigerator.

   He chopped up carrots, broccoli, onions, celery, and also added tomatoes. The process took him a lot less time than anyone else I had ever seen do that. My mother was a damn good cook and even she couldn't chop shit up that fast.

   "Do you need any help?" I asked. I felt bad for just sitting, doing nothing.

   "No, thanks. Keeping busy keeps me sane." His gaze flicked to me for a moment before he continued working. "I appreciate the offer, though."