CH11. Hidden Truth

Bunza,

Bunza,

Kebbi State.

3rd May, 2011.

Ameerah's step mother swiveled her head in the direction of Lami, her co-wife; her lips curling into a sly smile, "Why not?"

Lami offered her a wide smile, one that anyone could tell it is fake. She then leaned down and picked the leather the woman handed over to Ameerah. Pulling out her co-wife's hands, she put the leather in it before pulling her hands away, "You have a pot, a stove, and food ingredients for a reason. Make use of it"

The woman hummed, a smile dancing on her lips, "Maman Ameerah kenan" She started as she opened the leather that she held in her hand, "It's dried fish" She showed Lami the content, and sure enough, it was dried fish. "I brought it because I know you like it"

Lami didn't let the smile on her face falter as she replied, "Nagode. But keep it with you" She glanced at her daughter before looking back at her co-wife.

Just then, Hamisu's first wife, a light skinned woman walked into the house. She had on a big veil that covered the blouse and wrapper she had on. Judging by the small Ghana must go in her hand, she must've returned from one her numerous businesses. While Lami and the other wife were so busy trying to kill the other, she focused on her business and does not get involved in the whole co-wife jealousy whatever.

She simply minded her business, and only talked to either of them when it was extremely necessary—the same goes for her children. She didn't have the energy to quarrel with them over a husband that might just take another wife soon or later.

What's the point? She always thought.

Her gaze fell on the two that stood, engrossed in a staring contest. She simply rolled her eyes and headed towards her room, ignoring both women that only spared her a five second glance.

The second  wife scoffed, "Toh, Ke  kika sani kuma" She muttered before she turned around and walked back into her room, head held up high with arms swinging by her side like an agama lizard.

"Once you're done, just come in kinji?"Lami turned to Ameerah who nodded. She then offered her a sincere smile before she walked into her room to rest.

~*~

4th May 2011.

It was a cold Wednesday morning—the sun wasn't up yet. It was around subh prayer time when Ameerah woke up, an unsettling feeling at the pit of her stomach. It made her uneasy for some reason but she shook it off, scolding herself internally for being paranoid when there was no reason to be.

She made her bed before she stepped out of the room, noticing the fact that she couldn't hear the melodious sound of her mother reciting the holy Qur'an as she usually does every morning after subh prayer. She dismissed the thought and got water from the well outside, using it to perform ablution before she returned back to her room and prayed. After her prayer, she recited the Qur'an, the few verses of surah Maryam which Lami taught her the day before.